Opinions yay or nay Laguna New Gen Max Flow 4280

Reaction score
seems too good to be true. 4280 gph @ 170 watts w/3 year warranty. poised to buy one, opinions/experience please

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That's a lot of Benjamins. I don't have a pond that big, but if I did, I'd lean towards a couple of smaller pumps for a more spread out flow pattern. I've heard that the Made-in-Italy Lagunas are good though.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks good - very low wattage for gph performance. I wonder what the amperage rating is? That constant amp draw is what really determines the monthly drain on the wallet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 4
I like my 4280 only 1 year old stored in the pond over winter though.

my pond isn't big enough either, but I like my stream looking like a stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The energy efficiency is what pushed me to get this pump. Couple this with overwhelmingly positive reviews on the Laguna pumps across the internet made this a no-brainer for me. I haven't tested out its solids handling much or its longevity, but so far it's working beautifully after about a month of ownership, including accidentally running it dry for an unknown amount of time (likely hours).

Looks good - very low wattage for gph performance. I wonder what the amperage rating is? That constant amp draw is what really determines the monthly drain on the wallet.

The instruction manual that came with my pump has it listed at 3.2 amps at 110 voltage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have two lagunas and am very happy with them. I don't think mine are Italian made but still no problems.One of them froze up int the winter one year and started right up when it thawed.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I have two lagunas and am very happy with them. I don't think mine are Italian made but still no problems.One of them froze up int the winter one year and started right up when it thawed.

Keith I believe yours are. From talking to john (Haro) on here before I purchased mine, it's the Laguna fountain pumps that are now being made in China. Problem with those is week impellers that break easily. Both of mine (4280 & 2400) over wintered in my pond this past winter about 2 1/2' below water level and started right up this spring. Like you, I've been happy with mine. The water flow from 4280 pretty much equals what I had from my old smart pond 5180 pump, but I use about the same or less in electricity for both as I did for that one. Oh and if your still moving & looking for a new liner to build a new pond, check out Menards. I ordered a 20 x 25' for about $350 today with tax, free shipping to the store. Best deal I could find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nathan, Thanks for the tips. It is a lot harder finding a house we could buy and renovate then we thought it would be. It doesn't seem like the housing market has improved that much but a lot of houses on nice lots are now being sold as teardowns in the areas we are looking at and it has raised prices quite a bit.

Ask a Question