opps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With a larger pond I use a pond vac to suck up debris off the bottom. Maple, dogwood, chestnut, arborvite, ash . All are no problem sucking them up. Shortly after falling to the bottom OAKS how ever are a real pain and take much longer to suck up . But in the spring after they have soaked for 3 or 4 months can be cleaned up with the vac. In short if you have oak leaves around your pond I would get the strongest vac money can buy. One trick I do for a rocked pond is the take off all the attachments and u use just the tube but I place an extention onto the end of the tube about 2 inches long secured to the bottom edge of the pipe.. So that the vac tube rides above the gravel as I drag It across the bottom and it does not suck up the rocks
I have leaves (and other forest debris) of pretty much every sort. But, the pond isn't really all that big & just doing some daily scooping during the major leaf fall time takes care of the vast majority of the problem. I never go into winter with a layer of leaves in the pond. Since we perfected the positioning (and timing of removal) of our horizontal blowing-leaf blocker fence, the winter winds can't send enough in to cause problems either. No need of a vacuum here. I can see one coming in handy with a larger, deeper pond, but we're not operating on that grand of a scale.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was never home too scoop leaves. But that was yestetday

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Haha! It was the friendly flavor. The head leaf blower saw me watching him and ran right over to assure me they would clean up the mess. Last fall they blew leaves off his roof and out of his gutters - that was a first! - and there was not stopping those from going everywhere. The beauty of the small suburban yard. He's a good neighbor though so it's easy to overlook the small annoyances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I once had a neighbor behind me that started throwing his leaves and grass clippings over the fence. When I approached him, he said the leaves were not his, they were blown into his yard!
I gave him a chance to clean it up. He did most of it. The rest I threw into his yard.
Some people are so nice, and others can be such jerks.
Anyway, he moved and we got better neighbors there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of our neighbors is a heavy drinker, he invited us over for gatherings of drinking we politely declined. Did now want to get into a drinking visits with him. Seems ok but when drunk gets pissy. We get a long at a distance.

Our other neighbor is our executor guess that says what she is like. Both are a distance from us.

Ask a Question