Options for LED lighting / hoods......?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Twenty gallon tank, 24" x 12" x 16". The lighting is fluorescent. Tank has a full plastic hood and the "light unit" sits on top, over a cut-out with a glass panel to let the light through. I only keep a couple of small goldfish in it at a time, or use it as a nursery tank, and like to keep a few plants inside.

I would like to convert to LED lighting, but I don't want to spend the BIG BUCKS since this is not a serious hobby tank. If it's not possible, I'll stick with what I have....

If you have LED lighting for your tank, what do you use and how is it set up?

I did a search and these are a few options I found

This hood, but the lighting is only in a small spot......
image.jpg

This hood....but looks like you have to lift the entire hood.....
image.jpg

This option which involves a glass cover.....
image.jpg

And these, which appear to sit atop the tank.......do they sit over the above glass cover, or directly over the water?
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a lot of them on ebay under cll pets and gosh I remember the old hoods .If water splashed up or you banged the hood the bulb needed replaced .Seems like they have improved fish tanks greatly .Been thinking of bringing the big one up from the basement ,but it would be more work I don't need I guess

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
First option is going to have dark areas in all the corners. LED is brighter but I don't think you will like the effects of this hood. Second option I would consider, built in and there is a feeding hole. IMO, that's 90% of what you need to lift the cover for any way other than decorating and cleaning which you can easily do without the hood. Third option, These are GREAT for planted tanks, some even have dimmers and color adjustments built in. However they are pricey. I like having glass in between the lights and the water. But some people that grow a lot of plants prefer still surface and having the lights directly above the water for better growth. I just hate cleaning lime deposits off of bulbs and can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to clean all those tiny LED bulbs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one I saw with the leds had a smooth cover over the leds for easy cleaning it says .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First option is going to have dark areas in all the corners. LED is brighter but I don't think you will like the effects of this hood. Second option I would consider, built in and there is a feeding hole. IMO, that's 90% of what you need to lift the cover for any way other than decorating and cleaning which you can easily do without the hood. Third option, These are GREAT for planted tanks, some even have dimmers and color adjustments built in. However they are pricey. I like having glass in between the lights and the water. But some people that grow a lot of plants prefer still surface and having the lights directly above the water for better growth. I just hate cleaning lime deposits off of bulbs and can only imagine how much of a pain it would be to clean all those tiny LED bulbs.

If I can find the site again, I might do more research on option 2. Going to depend on how sturdy it is -- it would have to survive the possibility of being walked (or slept) on by a 14 lb. cat, LOL!

For the same reason (cat), option 3 might not be the best....

There was also something I saw that was an LED light strip -- it looked like you stuck it on the inside rim of the tank.....not sure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We were in Petsmart yesterday and I had the chance to look at a couple of the options. What I chose, well, we'll see how it goes.....

I went with a clear tank cover and an LED strip light that attaches inside the tank -- I'll start out with it under the tank lip, along the front. You are supposed to be able to place it in the water, so I'm hoping that means it will OK with just the occasional filter-splash....
image.jpg

If this doesn't give enough light, I still have the option of using my old fluorescent hood as supplemental lighting.

So, we'll see...... I haven't taken it out of the box yet, except to look at the directions [too much else going on right now].

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm slowly getting the indoor tank re-configured.....

But I wanted to mention that I installed the LED strip light yesterday, and all I can say is, "WOW!" That is a lot more light than what I was getting from my fluorescent bulb!

It installs by slipping a notched edge into the lip of the tank's frame [or, you can submerge it and use suction cups]. Very easy to do, and it seems like a sturdy install. It has a slim profile so it doesn't seem to be in the way [time will tell on this point], and there are 2 small clips that help you manage the cord. The light strip itself can be rotated, so you can aim the LED's [as a whole] at almost any angle -- I have mine pointing downward.

This light has 2 light settings: white & blue [to simulate night time?] This particular light doesn't have a timer or dimmer settings, which is OK for my use. I much prefer the lower, $50.00 price tag [compared to other, more high-end lights].

As soon as I get the new filter installed, and decide which fish to put in the tank, we'll see how it all goes, and I'll give another progress report.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Ask a Question