Options for partially inground rectangular pond - Concrete blocks? Poured concrete? Wood? Plain dirt walls?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for first time pond that I want to put inside a green house. Total area would be 3 ft wide x 12 feet long x approx 4 1/2 ft deep.

My general idea is 3 feet of depth would be in ground, with approximately 1 1/2 ft above ground (for bench).

I've seen lots of different ideas. But as far as materials go, I'm not sure where to turn.

Any advice / links / words of wisdom would be appreciated

Thanks

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Depends on the look you want, do you want the stacked block look or a wood look. Stacked block wall is pretty simple, the wood would go with interlocking corner 6x6’s stacked, then you can face/cap it with a nicer hardwood or composite/plastic material

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

A lot of ponders have built above ground ponds and will chime in to help you out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 ponds built above and below ground, both from 2x12s with 4x4 posts. We had one almost collapse last year. If you go with wood, use 6x6s!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the input.

In regards to look I'm going for: Not quite sure what you mean by stacked block look. But, I figured which every material I used for structure, I would dress up with maybe some cedar trim/cap stone for top.

Having no experience with the type of load (from water weight) I'm looking at - I'm just wondering could I just have simple earth sides and bottom with liner, and maybe cinder blocks/cement for above ground portion?

Wood in the ground, even pressure treated, seems like a recipe for failure years down the road.?

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1631291761451.gif
@john_bennett@rocketmail.
Do you already have the greenhouse? Just wondering why it needs to be in one. Maybe cuz you live in a really cold place? Wondering if the inside would green up on the glass or plastic panels? Guess you would need great air circulation. Would love to know more on how this will work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 142576@john_bennett@rocketmail.
Do you already have the greenhouse? Just wondering why it needs to be in one. Maybe cuz you live in a really cold place? Wondering if the inside would green up on the glass or plastic panels? Guess you would need great air circulation. Would love to know more on how this will work.
Have a green house in mind, but no, have not built yet. The pond is really just to complement the greenhouse - humidification, ambiance etc. As for the details, I"m just kind of making it up as I go along lol.
Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have a green house in mind, but no, have not built yet. The pond is really just to complement the greenhouse - humidification, ambiance etc. As for the details, I"m just kind of making it up as I go along lol.
Thanks
Ah I see so the plants will reap the benefit of the humidity. How big are you thinking for the green house? Must gonna be a big one w/plants and the pond in there. You gonna make one yourself or buy one of those that you just put together from a kit? You won't have to worry about predators in there for sure! Will love to watch you do all of this.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the input.

In regards to look I'm going for: Not quite sure what you mean by stacked block look. But, I figured which every material I used for structure, I would dress up with maybe some cedar trim/cap stone for top.

Having no experience with the type of load (from water weight) I'm looking at - I'm just wondering could I just have simple earth sides and bottom with liner, and maybe cinder blocks/cement for above ground portion?

Wood in the ground, even pressure treated, seems like a recipe for failure years down the road.?

Thanks
Something like this for blocks
C358398B-A73C-47B8-A014-BC8E1FB4E48F.jpeg

if you get properly treated (ie cca) 6x6’s, not the big box store junk, they will out last the liner and you before they rot. Cinderblock would work just drive rebar in the webs and fill with concrete as you go up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where you plan to close it in i would do A ton of homework and check and recheck once you get the water going. In a green house i would definitely look at having a stream probably a long one and i'd think about how much splash i wanted is there a type of plant i want in my green house that needs lots of water but well drained or constant supply of water and not sitting in water. Like orchids. I would lean toward retaining wall blocks for just a foot tall but i don't know what your end desires are

Ask a Question