Oranda rescue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Came home yesterday and found my oranda tangled in some plants in a fold. I thought it was dead. Took him out put him in a gallon container while I got a 50 gallon container prepped with fresh water and declorinator he was in his side exhausted. Hours later he was flittering around. He goes back in pond tomorrow.

This morning, I wake up to find him pecking at the bottom of the container as if hes trying to eat. I put him back his pond with his fish friends

Good save!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good catch

The fancy type goldfish like an Oranda are not always the best choice for a pond. They tend to not be as hardy as the more streamline single tail type goldfish. And certainly not as strong of a swimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No they're not but I've had them before with no problems. He can't go in the tanks they are to warm. He will be fine I think

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad you saved your fish! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This happened to one of my ranchus due to spawning. The fish was getting desperate trying to escape the others. Are your fish chasing each other a lot now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear your Oranda is back to normal and doing well.

Justin FYI though about temperatures and fancy goldfish. They do fine in warmer temperatures. Many people including myself actually keep them in heated tanks (mine range from 76-80 degrees)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
But he may not do fine with my tropicals. I'm bringing them all in this winter and doing some work on pond to get ready for new decking. They'll be in my garage in a livestock bin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I keep mine in the pond outside in the winter. No issues. If it went in unhealthy, it will go out unhealthy.

If they got swim bladder disease they won't do well in the pond in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No they're not but I've had them before with no problems. He can't go in the tanks they are to warm. He will be fine I think
That is totally wrong you can keep any cold water Ornamental goldfish indoors , with some like your own fish doing better indoors away from the rigures of a pond and any preditor which is always on the lookout for any slower goldfish.
In reality fish like the Orandas should be kept behind glass as suggested by my good friend Maria aka @bettasngoldfish..

I know of a Rather good book I recommend you too buy about Fancy Goldfish one which I know Maria would suggest too you also is as follows :-

Fancy Goldfish "A complete guide to Care and Collecting" ISBN 1859749577 By Dr Erik L JOhnson DVM and Richard E Hess Photographs by Fred Rozenzweig

Though I am 30 years a koi keeper it is one of the best books on Fancy Goldfish that I have ever read and is the one book on goldfish we hold in our own private library , though I do have books on coldwater fish they are not a par o this book Dr Erik L Johnson DVM being one of the top Fish Vets in the US so your in very good hands with him :happy:

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question