Orange Foam/Slime in new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a complete newby - first post here, so apologies if not enough info.
Question:
I have this orangeish foam growing, and the water has become murky.
What is it and how do I fix it? Pictures attached.

Background:
New pond -
pH = 8.0
1 month old -
5000 gallons -
above ground (ground water cannot run into it) -
goldfish added last week - (from pond builder who maintains many - came from pond with too many fish)
some water hyacinth but not much else for plants -
has pump, skimmer, waterfall, 4 airstones bubbling - UV lights in skimmer
water is well water.
I have this orangeish foam growing, and the water has become murky.
What is it and how do I fix it? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8169.JPG
    IMG_8169.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8168.JPG
    IMG_8168.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8167.JPG
    IMG_8167.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have to admit - that's a first. I'm guessing the foam itself isn't orange. Something in the water is orange (if that makes sense). The foma isn't that unusual, but the color is.

Could it be excess iron in the water? You mentioned well water, which is what made me think of that. Or do you have mulch around the pond that maybe leached color into the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah I did not see where she mentioned well water up there. Could be that as if a lot of iron or some other mineral in it that has color to it. She has above ground pond so no run off. Must be the well water. Perhaps it will dissipate after awhile or you may need a filter on your well or hose so as not to allow the mineral to enter your pond. I am just guessing as you would need to test the water to really see the truth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my first thought was some sort of bacteria; I went looking and found something on orange algae. Might be what you have, I can't say for sure, but here's the link;

orange algae

I have a well and don't get that sort of redness anywhere, though it can show up in the house if the softener is low.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think dechlor would help w/the color if it is a mineral would it? A fines filter might clear it up if it is potting medium or color from the minerals in the well. A lot of us here use 100% clay cat litter w/no perfumes or additives. I bought mine at Wal-mart called Special Kitty 100% clay. To make a fines filter just take a large plastic pot w/holes in the bottom and line it w/white quilt batting and run a hose from a pump in your pond to over the top of the pot and let the filtered water run back into the pond. Takes awhile and you will need to clean the batting off now and then w/a strong flow from a hose and then put it back in. See if the color goes away. If so and it turns out to be the well you may have to filter the water through this pot while adding water to your pond. But then I would think your drinking water would have the color also if it is your well water. Take some of the plant medium and put it in a clear glass of water and stir it up, see if it turns color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good idea. I have washed out some of the plant medium and it does pour out orange water - so it may be that. I didn't rinse it thoroughly I think. AND I put regular clay dirt into the pot as well. It does look better today than yesterday so the cloudiness might have been simple algae. YOu think I can put that fines filter in front of the input to the pump and skimmer?
Thanks so much!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can put the filter anywhere that pond water will run through it and back into the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your fines filter needs to be above water level. It may do some good below but will clog very quickly. A milk crate or laundry basket works well.

Ask a Question