Orange Sapling From Dead Frostbitten Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Back in 2020, our mandarin orange tree did not survive the severe unseasonable cold spell for that persisted for 4 days - normally our temperatures do not dip below freezing for more than 12 hours. We noticed later in spring, there 3 small saplings that grew near the now dead tree. We quickly put them into separate pots and they seem to growing well.
They don't seem like tree suckers. Can anyone help confirm and can we expect them to produce fruit? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, most of us our ponders more than tree people. You might want to try a garden forum. Someone on here might have a idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @addy1 - while I am a gardener, my tree knowledge is limited.

I can say this - RARELY will you have a fruit tree with the ability to reproduce itself, especially if it's nursery bought. Most of them are grafted to combine the best fruit with the strongest tree, so the root tree will not reproduce the part of the tree that will bear fruit - if that makes sense.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but this is a pond group. Your question might be better suited to a gardening forum, and more specifically to one that deals with citrus.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653324103541.gif
and welcome @kennethpyburn

Ask a Question