Orfe appears to have patches of scales missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed on the weekend that one of my Orfe was off his food and moving about slowly. Didn't eat next two days either. Fished him out for a closer look. I see that he's a load of scales missing. Exactly the same on both side of the body in the same place.

Kind of looks like he's been wriggling between two rocks. But there's nothing like that in the pond so I'm lost for a reason for this..

He's in isolation at the moment. I don't see him scratching on anything so it's not irritating him. Just off his food.

Normally lives in a 3500 Ltr pond with 4 other Orfe. They're all around 6 or 7 inches. Others seem fine although they're so quick I don't think I'd be able to catch them for a closer look without stressing them.

IMAG1745-20190717-125201889.jpg

Now in the isolation tank. Fins etc all look fine.

IMAG1754.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks like he (or she) has been scraping himself up against the rocks. Could be parasites, as that will make them itchy. Or it could have been from spawning in the pond - have you seen any behavior that looks like they could have been spawning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No. Not seen any spawning activity. They're quite small - not sure if mature enough yet for spawning?

I have the fish indoors in a tank and treated the tank with Melafix (Based in tea tree I believe)

I'm noticing a layer of white 'fluff' over the pink patch now so I assume fungal infection has set in.

What's the best treatment for that? Do I need to treat the pond as well?

Ask a Question