Organic Gardening And Processing!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does anyone else own a little hobby farm? Or I should say; Does anyone else have an organic garden with/without chickens &/or ducks?

I used the back to Eden method on my garden, added mulch the first year (didn't mend the soil) and put the ducks on top of the mulch so they could fertilize it, that's as far as I am right now with it lol!

Would love to see some pictures of everyones garden and what is in it! :happy:

Ill go outside to take some :snaphappy: of mine right now :watching:

Ok here is the garden, orchard, berry patch (next to greenhouse):
2my536o.jpg

vctrfs.jpg

33m0g47.jpg

(above pic) Tomato rows
(below pic) Corn & zucchini
2hhnbti.jpg

juetqf.jpg

(above pic) Peppers, squashes and zucchini's, Gem corn.
(below pic x2) Peppers, Corn, Cabbage, carrots that are newly sown, as well as swiss chard.
ev5phz.jpg

20z33av.jpg

1yn8zl.jpg

back to Eden garden with the ducks (both sides are back to Eden, but that side will be planted next year.
20b0dpy.jpg

Some flowers, other herbs I think, raspberries (far back in the mulched rows), blueberries, more raspberries behind those blueberries.
2v28b9v.jpg

Then the orchard, was to lazy to walk over...
and to lazy to type what kinds of trees so ill make it simple
(various amounts of these)
honeycrisp apple trees
Cherry trees
peach trees
fig
nectarine

All Plants and Flowers we have / had are grown strictly from seed :D

so we know they get a fresh start in our soil rather than transplanting ones that were started already who knows how.

Berries aren't from seed but are from local cuttings from neighboring farms, excluding strawberries.

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I will get pictures of my little organic garden when sun comes up. Its still dark right now. I do organic gardening and use the backwash from pond filters to feed garden.
I don't use chemicals to control bugs or weeds in my yard. Can take a few years to balance the bugs. The trick to bug control is to have millions of bugs. .... But not to much of any one bug. Also wasps are your friend in the garden as they eat tons of bad bugs in my garden. They also recommend not growing all the same trees like in an orchard as that will attract too much of ONE bug.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I grew up on an organic farm back in the early 60's when organic was not a key word .My parents went nuts we went from living in a huge house to my mom and dad selling that and buying a 6 acre property and house that was a small farm that became a big farm of 6 acres ,but with just chickens.We did all the work ourselves and were successful at it .Never need a stand people flocked to our house .Even Mcateers restaurant bought off us every morning they sent the van to pick up fresh food from us .I think they went hippie .Dad would flood the fields from the natural spring we had .He used compost a lot and manure from a friend of my dads .I just noticed you are using clay balls

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i love veg gardening , recently made new small raised veg bed experiment 1st time in raised one, i sowed some seeds for this season last week , waiting for it then wil transfer them , i only use organic fertilizer if u mean that ? in my garden too . yes i tried that pond water on plants it works like magic .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nice garden. I only have a little raised garden as we would have to buy dirt for my garden so I only made small ones... wish I could have more! But I use water from my pond to water my plants and use cow manure for fertilizer.

This is my first year with the chicken and ducks so I'm thinking about planting lots of flower where I toss the poops and where the duck pond water will flow through. I use chicken wire to put up a little ring around my plants in the chicken coop. Right now I only have a few rings and small ones but mostly i plants chicken food in there. May change, who knows :)

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is my first year with the chicken and ducks so I'm thinking about planting lots of flower
I wonder if there are any Chicken And Duck Resistant Plants.... or if that applys to deer resistant...
hm

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will get pictures of my little organic garden when sun comes up
recently made new small raised veg bed experiment 1st time in raised one
have a little raised garden
Wish to see these pictures :notworthy::notworthy::eek::p:astronaut:(y):ROFLMAO:, just added and bended some cattle gate over my tomatoes (did 3 rows with one gate, ill have to post pics hard to explain) so once they get taller they have something to lean on, same for the cucumbers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Wish to see these pictures :notworthy::notworthy::eek::p:astronaut:(y):ROFLMAO:, just added and bended some cattle gate over my tomatoes (did 3 rows with one gate, ill have to post pics hard to explain) so once they get taller they have something to lean on, same for the cucumbers!
i did veg gardening and had all the animals i cud have when i was ur age we had very large open place but later on when we moved to city type smaller house .... recently i had some issue with soil after 5 years of planting only 1st 2 years were good for veg and fruites , its not big place and also sunlight is limited i was suspecting either trees grew larger and had shadow roots taking nutritians from soil or my soil had some cheimical or drainage prob, so i wanted to add new soil , instead i piled them on concrete where they can have more sun an good drainage and if any chemical levels in older soil are messed up , it wil b fresh soil . lets see how it goes , just seedlings sprouted this week , i sowed cucumber , tomatoe , eggplant , spinach capsican. making compost from kitchen waste for it too. what i did more is i placed some straws and leaves under bed . if plants do well then il take pics and show u
do u get pest and disseases , how do u control? i have experience of tomatoes that they get pest alot here .
when i had geeses chickens ducks goat , they wud destroy my garden if they get a chance lol

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
do u get pest and disseases , how do u control?
1: electric fence
2: barrels of marigold
3: chickens and ducks
4: that is my only plan of attack, as for larger pests:

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We just planted everything almost and then big wind storms and lighting came. Going to get pictures Monday. Have to work all day tomorrow

Ask a Question