Osmocote pouches

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have read ALL of the posts concerning Osmocote for fertilizing lilies. Since I am using fabric pots I would like to contain the Osmocote and found a couple of posts using newspaper "pouches". Can anyone tell me how much to put in the pouch...I will be using 14" round fabric pots with aquatic planting media in each...Since I have a lot of fish I do not want the Osmocote floating up or out of the pots adding nutrients to the water so I thought the pouches a great idea..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have put it in paper towels, then shove it down into the pot. I can't tell you how much to use, my measuring methods are real soft, ie dump and yeah that looks good lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used addy's method for a few years, creating little balls with paper towels and shoving them deep into the pots with the eraser end of a pencil. More recently I just mix about 1/4 C with clay kitty litter in the bottom of the pan.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used addy's method for a few years, creating little balls with paper towels and shoving them deep into the pots with the eraser end of a pencil. More recently I just mix about 1/4 C with clay kitty litter in the bottom of the pan.
Me too, I don't even mix it I just dump it in the pan after lifting the lily and the clay, plop lily back down, done. That is all they get for the summer and all bloom wonderfully. Any that might float out has never bothered the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Do you think that since I am using fabric bags it might leach out if not wrapped in paper though?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you think that since I am using fabric bags it might leach out if not wrapped in paper though?
Well it will leach out of the paper and will leach out of the fabric, eventually, but the lilies use it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'd think the wrapping it in paper would serve the purpose of getting the little Osmocote beads into a form that would allow you to push it down into the pot when it was full of clay/soil. (like creating your own little pond plant fertilizer tablets) When repotting, you can simply pour it into the bottom under the clay & plant on top of it. You just don't want to allow the whole fertilizer beads to drop through & run away into your pond. I don't think the fabric bags would allow for that to happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'd think the wrapping it in paper would serve the purpose of getting the little Osmocote beads into a form that would allow you to push it down into the pot when it was full of clay/soil. (like creating your own little pond plant fertilizer tablets) When repotting, you can simply pour it into the bottom under the clay & plant on top of it. You just don't want to allow the whole fertilizer beads to drop through & run away into your pond. I don't think the fabric bags would allow for that to happen.
Thank you for this advice BKH!

Ask a Question