OTHER ADVANTAGES TO QUARANTINING NEW FISH.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, you say..... We quarantine to watch for signs of illness in, and/or "treat" new fish, and to keep "sick" fish separated from healthy fish. What else is there?

Well, for this fish-newbie [*] who can tell you within minutes if one of the cats "isn't quite right," I'm beginning to notice subtle cues & behaviors that would have gone unnoticed in the big pond. Unnoticed, until it was too late :(

* Have had aquariums most of my life, but never really connected the fish with the environment. Yes, I did water checks and all, but my fish were usually either alive or dead. I never paid attention to that in-between stage. Cause & effect? Anyway....

So, now I have these 9 [down from 11] beautiful goldfish in a too-small QT [kiddie pool], with an un-cycled filter, in the heat of LA. Have been testing water, doing water changes, adding ways to increase aeration, putting up shades to keep things cooler, holding food, doing middle-of-the-night fish-checks, reading, reading, reading.... Cause & effect! Driving myself crazy with worry & guilt.

Guinea Pig fish? Maybe. But a light bulb went off the other night! I actually looked at one of the fish, and he spoke to me! I REALLY looked at him and started putting 2 and 2 together. Cause & effect. It was there, and subtle, but I really could tell that he "wasn't feeling good." He's the biggest in the pool, so figured he's the barometer for the bunch.

I feel bad that I lost 2 very nice fish, and I feel bad that these other guys are the victims of my newbie-ness. But what I am learning from this experience -- feels wonderful! It gives me HOPE!

And you guys have contributed a LOT to my education -- I appreciate every one of you!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I agree 100%.

About your unfiltered kitty pool. I am doing much the same thing but using green water to keep them safe without a filter. The water is changed based on the density of the algae. Figure out how green you will let it get and change it when that happens. I am changing every 2 days but then I have 30PPM nitrates in my tap water. Without it would go longer.

I am building a simple filter and will continue with the green water till it disappears which will mean the filter is cycled.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
I agree 100%.

About your unfiltered kitty pool. I am doing much the same thing but using green water to keep them safe without a filter. The water is changed based on the density of the algae. Figure out how green you will let it get and change it when that happens. I am changing every 2 days but then I have 30PPM nitrates in my tap water. Without it would go longer.

I am building a simple filter and will continue with the green water till it disappears which will mean the filter is cycled.
Maybe I misspoke. Not unfiltered, but un-cycled. I have a small DIY TT going, it's just not mature enough to make a difference at this point.

But my main point was that by having the fish in the confines of a QT, I'm able to observe them and learn from their "body language," so to speak. And with the smaller pool requiring constant attention, putting those together (water quality and interventions...), and it's so much easier to observe the "cause & effect" that takes place. Seeing the subtle changes in behavior and condition is easier, as well as I'm just plain paying better attention. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
Not a problem and I am doing much the same thing. Installing the TT today. But as I said till the tower cycles let green water do the job.
How are you constructing your TT? Just curious. Mine was a spur-of-the-moment decision, using whatever (buckets) I was able to scrounge from the yard (plus have LOTS of PVC). Stole some media from the pond to use. No green water, 'cause pool is in the shade. Tried a few plants, but they kept fouling & slowing the pumps.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Yeah that is the trouble with most plants. I find that after about 2 days they seem to settle down and shed less YMMV.

It is done but for the lava rock which should be here within the hour.

I started with a 1 inch sheet of stryrofoam to protect the vinyl floor.
Next is a layer of 3 concrete blocks with 4 more small blocks on top them to clear the water.
The pepsi crates are stacked on top that.
The top crate has a tray on top that works as a drip tray. This is a leftover from another filter.
They tray will have quilt batting. Let me get a video.
back soon

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, you're doing the Pepsi crate / lava rock one! Have seen the vids. Mine's just a few small stacked buckets with holes drilled for water flow (as well as holes in the sides for air) and media in each bucket. It's intended to be temporary, but at the same time is a prototype since I want a TT when the bog is done. The other day I elevated it by about 10" hoping for more "splash!" in the QT.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and another advantage.......

The fish seem to adjust better and quicker to the "big" pond! Guessing it's due to the 2 1/2 weeks of special treatment :) I turned 3 of my new fish out last night [leaving 6 instead of 9 in the QT -- we are out of town for 3 days and afraid to leave that many, with high ammonia & nitrites in the QT]. Instead of hiding, they were swimming around with everyone else [though the 3 of them stayed together, buddies], NOT hiding, and came up to eat when I fed! WOW! Not at all acting like "new fish!"

But then, these fish all came directly from the breeder, not through a pet store, so maybe they were just "programed" to be better adjusted individuals ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
capewind said:
I think they like YOU;-)
Ahhh, how sweet of you to say that!

My turtles like me, too, and recognize my voice! ;) So no matter what actually comes out of my mouth, what they hear is, "Mealworms, red wigglers, fresh food!"

Ask a Question