Other use for bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I decided to try an experiment. I took a cutting from a plant, and just jabbed it into the bog to see what would happen. It took root. I tried with several other plants. They all took root, and one is blooming. It's only been about 2 months, and it's blooming. The parent plant has not bloomed yet, and probably won't until next year.
My wife has been trying to root various cuttings, with mixed results. I told her to just take the cutting, and jab it into the bog. it will have roots in a couple of weeks.

To emphasize my point, I took a wilted jasmine cutting that she'd been trying to get rooted, stuck it in the bog. It perked up in an hour or so, and is now putting on new growth.

So far in the past 2 months, I've managed to get 4 or 5 different species of plant to take root in the bog, and none of them are bog plants.

So the bog has more to it than just filtering pond water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to know @Bluerooster as I sometimes try to start plants from stems..................too bad I don't have a bog...............but if I could find a wild bog out there somewhere, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Sounds kind of like in the old days when people had illegal pot growing spots that they just visited from time to time to reap their product o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just planted and started my bog up today, I'm excited to try this once it gets going!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wouldn’t it be similar to hydroponics?

Aquaponics would be more accurate, since there are fish involved. I once stuck a couple of cuttings off a tomato plant I was pruning into my bog just for fun. It grew so big and so fast it was crazy. And the tomatoes were delicious! Everyone said it wouldn't work - too much water, the plant will just rot - but I knew that lots of the tomatoes we buy commercially are grown hydroponically, so it made sense to me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Magical water :LOL: magic fishy poo water! I don't have a real big, but I run the waterfall hose through a large planter full of water plants and I've noticed the plants in the planter do better. Hyacinth and parrots feather in the pond and the fall planter, the ones in the filtery part look so much better and grow faster.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes I have an aquaponics system and do all my cuttings inside, it works very well for most plants. However, some species never really work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used my koi pond filters to start plants .I just put a shallow pot in the tank with a rock in the bottom and use gravel to hold the plant upright .I just did it with my lilac cuttings and out of 8 only 6 failed .I have banana plants in there and elephant ear and 3 other plants right now and have been doing it for years with some failures and mostly success

Ask a Question