Ottawa Canada - natural swimming pond

Reaction score
Hi
I'm building a natural swimming pond near Ottawa Canada. It will be styled on that popularized by Michael Littlewood and built all over Europe, with some now in North America. Mine will be about 30ft x45ft, with a swimming portion 15ftx45ft and about 6 feet deep, about 32000 gallons. River gravel will be the filtration medium around the sides with water drawn down through the gravel into drain tile and then sent back over a series of smaller ponds and one jet into the bottom.

Looking forward to learning more on this site and asking a few questions. My first be on total dynamic head.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There's a fella in Caledon, Ontario that had one built a few years back. It was featured in the Toronto Star (maybe it's archived and you can find the article).

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome folks. No fishies in the pond.. unless a bird drops one in... too many nutrient..:) will stick with the frogs and occasional garter snake.
Yeah, i've seen the references to the Caledon one more water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That will be neat. I have read about building natural swimming ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
total habitat on you tube shows how to do natural swimming ponds and there are several other great video's that show how to do them also ,it may be a help to you .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I am excited to see your progress. Please post a lot of pictures and keep us updated. I have been looking into swimming ponds for a while and LOVE the idea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi aroundthebend! I'm in Chelsea, QC just north of Ottawa. I have a 16'x32' inground pool that I'm now planning to either convert to a natural swimming pond, or fill in and excavate a large earth pond. I've read Michael Littlewood's books, Tim Matson's books on earth ponds, and done a lot of internet research. If interested, perhaps we can communicate to share knowledge. Please let me know and we can exchange contact info. Thanks!

Ask a Question