Otters..... #@£%!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Who doesn't love an Otter?
Currently, me! Had 2 in our pond midnight one Tuesday last month
Death toll initially 24, cheeky blighters were even stashing them in a "larder" under the pond bridge!
Came back following night, despite efforts to secure access point, killed 4 of the larger remaining fish, spent most of Friday covering pond in wire mesh.
Midnight checked pond, they'd pulled out a roll of wire jammed into a gap under the bridge with bricks, found one eviscerated corpse. Of approx' 50 fish all that's left, we think, are some minnows........ Pissed Off don't come close
IMG_20211013_103139.jpg
IMG_20211013_100317.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Who doesn't love an Otter?
Currently, me! Had 2 in our pond midnight one Tuesday last month
Death toll initially 24, cheeky blighters were even stashing them in a "larder" under the pond bridge!
Came back following night, despite efforts to secure access point, killed 4 of the larger remaining fish, spent most of Friday covering pond in wire mesh.
Midnight checked pond, they'd pulled out a roll of wire jammed into a gap under the bridge with bricks, found one eviscerated corpse. Of approx' 50 fish all that's left, we think, are some minnows........ Pissed Off don't come closeView attachment 144682View attachment 144683
sorry for your loss; otters are like the kiss of death for a pond. I think only electric fencing will keep them away.

smt2b.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's awful! It would be bad enough if the little critters ate their fill and left but no, looks like they were assassins. An electric fence might work. They have high voltage low amps but will get the varmints attention. Just be careful not to touch it yourself. It is a significant emotional experience!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn, happy I just fight with a heron.

So sorry to hear!

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sorry for your losses.
I am so glad that I only have to deal with possums.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi @RobinP, sorry to hear of your losses, as beautiful as otters are they are a top apex predator and very very intelligent, i think your best bet would be as others have mentioned install an electric fence, one belt off an electric fence will send him/her on there way hopefully never to return. cheers mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So sorry, just heartbreaking. I've read stories of experienced ponders throwing in the towel once an otter discovers their pond :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss that's quite the toll. As we would say in the biker side of life IT"S ON

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my. So sorry. The heron doesn't seem so bad now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
once you get the thumbnail to show up from uploading click on the photo before you click on post and choose full and the photo will be that a photo not a thumb nail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United Kingdom
Better? Taken a couple of years ago....
The square section has a pea shingle filter bed held in place with a retaining wall, grid of pipes below to suck water through it, which is then piped under the bridge and sprayed in to a deep round pool. The water then flows back under the bridge over a shallower section into main section which is approx 3 to 4ft deep. Bit OTT for the remaining minnows ;-)

IMG_20190701_121255.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond.

Mr heron came back yesterday sat on the dead maple and stared at the pond, finally just flew away. Think it did not see a way in and gave up.

Ask a Question