Our above ground pond

Reaction score
Something a little different. We wanted something above ground with an easy to navigate walkway for my disabled inlaws to enjoy.

Video:
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]lsK1Hp6QmMg[/MEDIA]"]

Pics:
FinishedPond11.jpg

FinishedPond13.jpg

FinishedPond12.jpg

Lily:

Backyard2009012.jpg

Thanks
Todd

Reaction score
It's completely above ground. It's 22" deep

Here's some photo's of it going together:

pond.jpg

pond14.jpg

pond17.jpg

pond19.jpg

You are correct- we don't have any filtration system-only the pump and fountain. We dealt solely with a business that has been in the pond business for 12 years. They have several ponds-both above and below ground, many with koi and they do not use any filtration system. They told me that if I am patient, with the right number of plants and not too many fish the pond will take car of itself. Our water went murky about 2 weeks after it was built, then as the plants started to spread the water cleared up- almost overnight. It was amazing to see this happen. I did have to treat stringy algea using a product called "pond balance" and I have added fertilizer for my suffering water hyacinths. I think next year we'll build up one end (the end closet to the house) and add one of those filter/waterfall units. I do have to clean the pump inlet every 10 days or so. I also just got one of those water vacuum tools to clean silt from the bottom. The view with my underwater camera is very clear- about 4-5 feet however some of the fish like to stir up the silt on the bottom.
Todd

Reaction score
The photo's don't show the sand layer and felt we put down before installing the liner.. I also had a couple of very helpful neighbors give me a hand- the fellow in the photo is one of them!

Reaction score
I am suprised they recommend no filtration!!! A pond is bigger version of an aquarium which must have a filter. I would agree with no filtration with plants only and no fish.

Plants do not convert ammonia to Nitrate. The natural bacteria that grows on the surface of everything in a pond can not sustain more than a couple of fish for anylength of time. The only other method is water changes to dilute ammonia since nothing in the pond is converting it to Nitrate.

I am curious how many inches of fish the store recommends for a setup with no filtration?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
great pond ...im about to build a raised pond myself so my son who uses a wheelchair will be able to enjoy ponding too ... so seeing yours have given me more ideas :biggrin:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very nice photos and video. I am impressed.

You might share the details on how you attached the timbers and in particular the corners. Did you drill and "pin" them with a steel rod?

Reaction score
We used 12" spikes to hold everything in place. Deck screws were only used for areas not bearing the weight of the water. Here's a pic showing us driving the spikes. I'm the guy standing with the hammer watching my neighbor do all the work! :D

pond13.jpg

I just came in from sucking up silt from the bottom of the pond. My wife and I were talking and I think we may head out and buy a good filter anyway. Can't hurt!

Todd

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Cool, did you get any splitting when driving these monster nails?
BTW, what vacuum do you have and how well is it working for you?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
at least use an underwater filter that hooks up before your pump... they make them biological..so you can have some sort of bacterial colony living in circulating water.

Ask a Question