Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm so sorry to read about this @addy1 - that is an awful way to treat a house. Unbelievable to see such a lack of respect for their own home and someone elses property. I hope it doesn't take too long to undo all of their damage.

Is there any form of recourse for something like this? I'm not sure how renting works in the US. In the UK there is often a deposit paid, which is used to cover damages (and as an incentive to return the place in good condition!) - although it isn't a huge amount, so wouldn't cover the level of havoc they have caused here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just make sure you do not bring any of the eggs home or into your car .I have a friend back in NJ that does this and told me eggs can survive a lot .He has seen them in peoples cars after they got them in rentals that they were cleaning up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there any form of recourse for something like this? I'm not sure how renting works in the US. In the UK there is often a deposit paid, which is used to cover damages
Our deposit was one months rent. It helps but does not pay for all the repairs.
We could take them to court, but you can spend time and money going after them, then you have to go after them to get the funds you win. Just not worth the stress. We get a good tax write off.

We are taking it as a upgrade opportunity, Nothing was worth saving.
Just make sure you do not bring any of the eggs home or into your car
We take no coats into the place, all the supplies we took in are in cardboard boxes, all will be put into plastic containers, new, boxes tossed when we are done. Then the tools etc will be sprayed, fumigated, something.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what we were doing last December/January.

We enjoy taking something and making it nicer. We walk in make prelim drawings, tear out stuff then change the drawings, very flexible in what happens. There is always a change in the plans. Not always the best financial plan lol.
After the changes in Pasadena, we raised the rent by $500 it rented in one week.

We had gone down to Florida get a rental ready to sale, ended up working on 5 rentals. The one we put on the market did sale after painting etc.

Honey has a rental in Delray Beach Fl, the tenant has been in the place over 12 years. Older gentleman. We had not done a stop by in a few years. Last December we went by to check on the place. The bathroom sink was non functioning (the guy is a plumber had messed it up fixing it) the kitchen cabinets, slab doors, were falling apart, the laminate counter top rotting through where part of it had been used as a chopping block.
So we wanted to work on it. The guy has mild dementia, he tossed us out claiming we were only doing it to evict him. We had the assoc. president talk him down, tore the bath out fixed it, then had to do the same to work in the kitchen. Tore it out in a hurry, so he could not say no to us coming back to work on it. But we could not let him live that way.
Before bathroom
IMG_0464(1).JPG

After bath
IMG_0618.JPG

The kitchen before
IMG_0554.JPG

after
IMG_0620.JPG

Then another rental went empty while down there, the bath cabinet in bad shape
before
br1.JPG

after
IMG_0510.JPG

Then came home, his place in Pasadena, Md up for rent. We went in January, when we got back from working in Florida, to check it out.............needed updating badly.

Kitchen before, some of the drawers didn't work, cabinets aged
20170112_141608.jpg

After
IMG_0759.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks so good after you guys get to it and man you must spend a ton of money on re-doing all the places! You need to come here so we can hire you to re-do some of our stuff,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We do all the work, the expense is the stuff, cabinets, paint etc. We got some bids to do some work.............wow they wanted some big bucks, so back to doing it ourselves. We seem to not do anything for xx years then get a hit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
May I recommend you look at epoxy kits? They have counter kits as well as wall kits, the vertical epoxy kits can be great in bathrooms. For the counters, it’s easy to sand out any cuts, scratches, etc and fill in with fresh epoxy. You take what you’ve already got, clean it, sand it, clean it again, prime it, paint it, then do a couple layers of epoxy. You can do a colored layer, then do I’d say two flood coats. Those are clear, so easy to sand and fill, then sand back smooth, and polish. A good kit is water proof once dry, food safe once fully seasoned ( up to 72 hrs, so I’d say start it as soon as you can) I’ll be doing it to my counters once I decide best color scheme.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The counter in Florida was rotted out, the counter here won't fit the layout we are doing. Appreciate the info.
The cabinets here the drawers, bases the bottoms all warped falling off.

We are saving the bath cabinet, we think, going to get a piece of drawer base and replace the one rotted out.
The top is still in great shape, one of those manufactured stone looking tops.

Hubby is dropping me off in Baltimore, he has to head to rental in Pasadena, they called, the water line heading to the water heater cracked and sprayed out water. It must have cracked during the real bad cold and just finally let loose. Got some ceiling damage. He is going to see if we can fix or do we need to call the insurance co.
I have gotten good at mudding...............lots of practice. Hubby's mudding looks like he used a snow shovel on it.

One of these days all will be sold! It is a slow process.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cabinets alone are not cheap no matter where you get them .I had checked for my laundry room and 36x42 wall cabinets were over 200 dollars a piece per RTA store .I can get custom built ones from the guy down the road that does them for 50 dollars a piece and solid wood also .I will have to prime and paint them .I could build them myself by why for that price

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Worse is these people think they can always get away with it .Sad to say there are some pretty disgusting people out there

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but being a landlord you kinda knew what you signed up for

Mmmm... can't say I agree with that. I don't think we should just accept that people are going to destroy things because it doesn't belong to them, or live like pigs in someone else's house. My son has owned about 10 rental properties for about 7 or 8 years now and he's had all good tenants. They all pay on time, take care of the property and let him know right away if something needs attention. Messes like @addy1 is dealing with are the exception, not the rule.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Having rented most of my life, I’ve always cleaned up the mess, fixed things as well as I could if they broke, and tried to leave a place in good repair. To include hauling out the trash when the apartment next to mine caught fire, ruining a lot of my stuff, and making the building uninhabitable. I was the only one who went so far as to haul off the trash, and that’s as a single mom about to deploy to Iraq, in less than a month. The manager of that complex was not shy about telling me how the others left their trash and damaged furniture behind.

Ask a Question