Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Jan 18, 2018.

1. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looks so good after you guys get to it and man you must spend a ton of money on re-doing all the places! You need to come here so we can hire you to re-do some of our stuff,lol!

j.w, Jan 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

wow That's enough to scare me !!! Is it even worth renting down there after all the work you have to do fixing them back up?

:Looks awesome now,, maybe you can come do my house, ha ha ha

callingcolleen1, Jan 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We do all the work, the expense is the stuff, cabinets, paint etc. We got some bids to do some work.............wow they wanted some big bucks, so back to doing it ourselves. We seem to not do anything for xx years then get a hit.

addy1, Jan 19, 2018
    j.w and callingcolleen1 like this.
  4. addy1

JamieB

May I recommend you look at epoxy kits? They have counter kits as well as wall kits, the vertical epoxy kits can be great in bathrooms. For the counters, it’s easy to sand out any cuts, scratches, etc and fill in with fresh epoxy. You take what you’ve already got, clean it, sand it, clean it again, prime it, paint it, then do a couple layers of epoxy. You can do a colored layer, then do I’d say two flood coats. Those are clear, so easy to sand and fill, then sand back smooth, and polish. A good kit is water proof once dry, food safe once fully seasoned ( up to 72 hrs, so I’d say start it as soon as you can) I’ll be doing it to my counters once I decide best color scheme.

JamieB, Jan 20, 2018
  5. addy1

The counter in Florida was rotted out, the counter here won't fit the layout we are doing. Appreciate the info.
    The cabinets here the drawers, bases the bottoms all warped falling off.

We are saving the bath cabinet, we think, going to get a piece of drawer base and replace the one rotted out.
    The top is still in great shape, one of those manufactured stone looking tops.

Hubby is dropping me off in Baltimore, he has to head to rental in Pasadena, they called, the water line heading to the water heater cracked and sprayed out water. It must have cracked during the real bad cold and just finally let loose. Got some ceiling damage. He is going to see if we can fix or do we need to call the insurance co.
    I have gotten good at mudding...............lots of practice. Hubby's mudding looks like he used a snow shovel on it.

One of these days all will be sold! It is a slow process.

addy1, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w, sissy and haver79 like this.
  6. addy1

sissy sissy

Cabinets alone are not cheap no matter where you get them .I had checked for my laundry room and 36x42 wall cabinets were over 200 dollars a piece per RTA store .I can get custom built ones from the guy down the road that does them for 50 dollars a piece and solid wood also .I will have to prime and paint them .I could build them myself by why for that price

sissy, Jan 20, 2018
    JamieB likes this.
  7. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Rental work, it never ends......................the more the merrier :eek:

j.w, Jan 20, 2018
  8. addy1

sissy sissy

Worse is these people think they can always get away with it .Sad to say there are some pretty disgusting people out there

sissy, Jan 20, 2018
  9. addy1

Lisak1

Mmmm... can't say I agree with that. I don't think we should just accept that people are going to destroy things because it doesn't belong to them, or live like pigs in someone else's house. My son has owned about 10 rental properties for about 7 or 8 years now and he's had all good tenants. They all pay on time, take care of the property and let him know right away if something needs attention. Messes like @addy1 is dealing with are the exception, not the rule.

Lisak1, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w, Tula and addy1 like this.
  10. addy1

JamieB

Having rented most of my life, I’ve always cleaned up the mess, fixed things as well as I could if they broke, and tried to leave a place in good repair. To include hauling out the trash when the apartment next to mine caught fire, ruining a lot of my stuff, and making the building uninhabitable. I was the only one who went so far as to haul off the trash, and that’s as a single mom about to deploy to Iraq, in less than a month. The manager of that complex was not shy about telling me how the others left their trash and damaged furniture behind.

JamieB, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w, Tula and addy1 like this.
  11. addy1

We have not had these type of issues, usually. We have a hit now and then we just deal with it. We had 10 rentals, 1 in AZ, 6 in Florida, 3 in MD. Down to 6 now.

addy1, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w and Tula like this.
  12. addy1

sissy sissy

here they are the rule because a lot of section 8 people move into places here and the move in a whole bunch of people and the destroy the place and get thrown out after months of court battles by owners to get them out .I have even seen it in my neighborhood and they were not section 8 but they destroyed the place and it was fairly new and they had phony references that the realtor did not check out and it took my poor neighbor 5 months to get them out .They thrusted the realtor and guessing they should have checked her out also ..They had gotten transferred to another state 2 years after buying the new house and since they could not sell it realtor convinced them to rent .To start with they payed to much for the house .Look on youtube there are so many horror stories it scares you and makes you mad .

sissy, Jan 20, 2018
  13. addy1

GBBUDD

I just spent a year down in the Baltimore area . I saw many row houses in the city Some neighborhoods were very nice but the next block over would be an eye opener. I have spent a lot of time in various areas and cities. Though I did enjoy the old port with the volley ball games along the harbor and the great restaurants like the Rusty Scupper. There are few areas I ever felt it necessary to put my guard up but if that city was the size of Chicago it would give it a good run for it's money. Roaches are The worst !!!!

GBBUDD, Jan 21, 2018
  14. addy1

Next to our old row house is a whole development of new ryan townhouses/row houses. Like right across the street. They are going for up in the 300 range. Our neighborhood is ok, clean, no gang signs. Would I ever live there? NO but I dislike city living. Our place backs up to the train tracks. The house insulation is good enough you don't really notice them going by.

The dirt pile is now new row houses, the x is our place We are near bayview, john hopkins medical 6.JPG 7.JPG

addy1, Jan 21, 2018
  15. addy1

sissy sissy

great location for doctors or nurses from johns hopkins medical center .Good selling point and rental point .I would post it to the hospitals board .The front desk can tell you where it is

sissy, Jan 21, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  16. addy1

JamieB

As I’ve grown up, I much prefer living out in the country instead of in any town, no matter how small. I’ve stayed in cities, and nope that’s not for me. In town means nosey neighbors, city code, rude punks, and traffic. Out here, I can do what I want how I want with my lawn, grow a garden with out having to fence it in from thieves, have a pool no one will mess with.

JamieB, Jan 21, 2018
  17. addy1

We are at the end of a long driveway, our driveway is at the end of a street that terminates in a farm field. Our neighborhood has one was in and one way out, 5 streets total, most are cul-de-sac.

addy1, Jan 21, 2018
  18. addy1

This is a not real good shot of the cabinets, not level, no counter top, window not framed (we had to decrease the size to make the cabinets fit), but making forward steps. Trying to decide on granite vs formica. I want granite honey wants formica, maybe lol
    The wall will be tiled, no backsplash, just tile, if we do granite.

The cabinet above the fridge will be level with the pantries, make it look built in. Really increases the storage space in the kitchen, there was hardly any. No place to have food dishes etc. We are adding a dishwasher in the empty space. Adding a built in micro wave. Trying to decide if we should replace the appliances or just buy a white dishwasher and micro. Or spring for all stainless. The outside doors are so small only certain refrigerators will fit through to get into the house.

The fridge is on the opposite wall of the kitchen from the other cabinets. It is a 12x12 kitchen with two doors, one to the outside, one to the basement, and the entry to the living/ dining room. This was the best layout we could come up with to add storage space. That is a blind cabinet in the corner near the window. We will move the cabinet with the drawers to the place the cabinet with the doors is, i.e. swap, the flow will be better. kitchen.JPG kitchen1.JPG

Doing dry wall texturing. Down in the basement the ceiling and walls had never been finished. Honey bought it as a foreclosure, before we met, and been working on it off and on. There is a full bath down there, needs to be painted cleaned up etc.

This time, with the work we needed to do with the tenant move out, I told him lets finish all the loose ends. Probably about another month of work to be done, maybe less.

I found homax popcorn ceiling in a bucket, small popcorn, mix and roll on did a beautiful job of covering the ceiling, need to take a finish pic. The wall I used mud, put on wet, let it partially dry then drag a bit of mud, makes a knockdown pattern. Learning as I go..............lol

The blue is a door to the back yard out of the basement. 20180124_093708(1).jpg 20180125_081950.jpg

addy1, Jan 26, 2018
    j.w and sissy like this.
  19. addy1

sissy sissy

Not sure I would want to do that much work ever again .

sissy, Jan 26, 2018
  20. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looks great and you guys put a lot of love into all your projects. Not just a throw it up deal, a make it like you would want it if you lived there.

j.w, Jan 26, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question