Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Jan 18, 2018.

1. addy1

qclabrat

that's correct, early on when granite was more expensive to source, it was only about 1 cm thick then layered with wood or a composite under to get the thickness to match the sides. Nowadays granite is pretty cheap and cost effective compared to the polymer options. I personally prefer granite, especially the uniqueness of some patterns and the its natural. Though not without the radiation controversies....

qclabrat, Feb 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

sissy sissy

Mine was thick but all granite has weak spots in it .It is just how the granite is formed .Mine was put in 2000 so it was not older thinner type .But installer even told me a better base under granite is plywood .Even quartz says it is better under it .Plywood makes the open areas in the cabinets stronger .

sissy, Feb 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

The company we use is around a 7 minute drive from our house. So far all of our granite, from them, has never stained or been damaged. One is in a rental, one is here at our house. I am constantly scraping paint, bees wax etc off the granite. It is my work table.

We did pick out one color we liked and they told us they were sending it back, the slab did not meet their standards. So maybe the granite slabs they use are a higher quality.

Got the tile started in the kitchen, didn't get a end of day picture. When leaving we just leave. 20180206_103044.jpg

addy1, Feb 6, 2018
    Becky, Tula and j.w like this.
  4. addy1

sissy sissy

The granite company I used in NJ was a block from my house on route 1 .They also put custom edges on my granite .I liked it but not for here the cost would not pay me back here .I do love the sea glass quartz and asked the guys to give me a price .I would love them to give me a sample .My laminate counter tops are the high end laminate and not a scratch on them .I was amazed at how the price of granite has gone down

sissy, Feb 6, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  5. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

@addy1 the tile will look nice and can't say I blame you for wanting to get outta there fast like!

j.w, Feb 6, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  6. addy1

Tile is up, need some grout, the short cabinet on the right is being replace with a 30inch one, we moved the sink cabinet to below the window. And a 18 inch one is being ordered for the open space, rearrange after ordering......... 20180209_121930.jpg 20180209_122001.jpg

addy1, Feb 9, 2018
    Tula, sissy and j.w like this.
  7. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Looking great!

j.w, Feb 9, 2018
  8. addy1

sissy sissy

I like the big drawers next to the stove .It is always handy to have utensils close when you are cooking .Great pots and pans drawer also

sissy, Feb 9, 2018
    Tula and addy1 like this.
  9. addy1

Lisak1

Looks great!

Lisak1, Feb 9, 2018
  10. addy1

I had drawn it out to have the stove, the dishwasher, then the sink. Then we started talking about having the sink under the window, dishwasher next to it............which I have always liked, no matter what you are looking at.

So dear honey had to tunnel through the 100 year old trusses, old plaster to reach the new sink area, then had to flip the blind corner cabinet, and buy 18 inch, a 12 inch and return a 24 inch to do the rearrange, replace the 30x14 above sink cabinet with a 30x30. Put the drawers next to the stove for all the misc stuff you need to store............A gas stove has no bottom drawer it is the boiler.

So a bit more work, but a better look. We end up with a 30 x 14 inch upper we can't use, but bring home and stick in our garage, basement for the bees, somewhere. Brand new just has install holes on it.

Still need to attach the pantry cabinets to the wall, attach the above the refer cabinet.

The upper floors are getting done, one more closet to put flooring in then all approx 900 sq ft of new flooring down and done. We have driven there 26 days, go through the tunnel, toll, keeps a good counting of our drives.

Went to install the new shower base in the upstairs bath................well he was moving the drain pipe a inch and IT PULLED OUT OF THE CONNECTION oh my! The connection (not installed by us) was way over by the wall. So had to cut through the kitchen ceiling to reach it, no glue! Now need to patch the ceiling, of course after we fix the drain pipe.

Next attack is the basement, laundry, utility room, bathroom, about a week of work or more. Done a bit of work down there more to go.

Then wander around with a paint brush fix up any dings we put into the new paint.

THEN LIST THE SUCKER!

addy1, Feb 10, 2018
    Tula and j.w like this.
  11. addy1

Loose drain pipe far far away...... 20180209_075520.jpg

addy1, Feb 10, 2018
    Tula and j.w like this.
  12. addy1

sissy sissy

OId house the wood is so much thicker than all the new houses and also much harder .They were built to last ,like an old battleship.I remember my first house (a bungalow ) really old and under cracker (meaning step on it it sounded like crackers )like carpet that was as old as the hills I found 3 inch thick flooring and found out all the flooring was mahagony flooring .I had to ask my dad what it was .When it cleaned up and got finished it was really pretty .1500 sq. ft. house and the only things that did not have it was the kitchen ( which originally was a porch ) and the front porch .Both were closed in and used as living space some time long before I bought the house .I also found all the gas pipes for the lights and found out in past history that it was a speak easy .My 30 thousand dollar fix up had a shady past .Township even had pics of it and all the arrests .I used all that as a resale advantage .10 years after I was done I sold it for 139 thousand .It amazed what a little history makes for a fast resale and it was on a busy highway across from Metro train tracks .Route 27

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    sissy, Feb 10, 2018
    addy1, Tula and j.w like this.
  13. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

I don't think I can do a thing today after reading your post @addy1 , too tired from just reading about all that hard labor you guys are going through!
    But hey I don't see one roach in that last photo (y)
    There really is a light at the end of that tunnel :smuggrin:

j.w, Feb 10, 2018
    Tula and sissy like this.
  14. addy1

sissy sissy

Back then I rewired all the gas lamps I found stored in the attic from the old owners .I just wish I had made a more than 1 of the framed stuff of the history of the house .I made only 1 with all the pics and the history and the pics of the lamps before and after I restored them and electrified them and put them back up where they were supposed to be .Addy you should see if you can find out the history of your place from the town archives .You may be amazed at what you find out .I left it hanging on he wall of the dining room because the new owner loved it

sissy, Feb 10, 2018
    addy1 and Tula like this.
  15. addy1

Tula

Whew........countdown to LISTING !!

Tula, Feb 10, 2018
  16. addy1

We would have loved to leave the original flooring but it was in terrible shape, had to level it out just to lay the first layer of laminate. We left the older laminate to have a level surface for the new.

There are so many row houses in Baltimore, no real history of any specific ones. Ours was built in 1920. Our area is called Greek town. There are some stuck in a row house, neighborhood restaurants. Have not been brave enough to try them yet.

Lots of gentleman clubs within driving distance. Once place called Chaps Pit Beef makes the best beef sandwiches, full of meat. We treat ourselves to one now and then. Next door is the Gold Club.............Mark said the entertainers are sometimes pretty! Before me............he would stop in for a beer when working there.

http://chapspitbeef.com/

Sissy the wood is thick and dense, the few times we have had to hack through it, takes a bunch of work.

I think we have beaten them, no new live ones in about a week. We are putting bait EVERYWHERE, before we replace trim molding we add bait, back in walls, under cabinets. Small sugary granular they carry away or eat.
    Also spraying. We will fumigate one more time, catch any of the hatching eggs. Have not seen any tiny ones, and we look constantly.

addy1, Feb 11, 2018
    j.w, sissy and Tula like this.
  17. addy1

As long as we have no other surprises........................

addy1, Feb 11, 2018
    j.w and Tula like this.
  18. addy1

sissy sissy

That is the problem with older places ,the surprise factor .But they are worth it because you know back then they were built to last by builders who cared .New houses they just slap together with crappy 2x4's and sometimes I think ducktape .People always say I want a new house because there will be no work and I laugh to them .Mine is a modular home so figure it was built in a dry factory and if it can do 60MPH down the road with no big damage then it would last better than I see some of these stick built houses these days .It was my first new house and still involved lots of work and love

sissy, Feb 11, 2018
  19. addy1

Our kitchen ceiling.....first test the repairs before patching 20180211_094138.jpg

addy1, Feb 11, 2018
    j.w and sissy like this.
  20. addy1

MitchM

Thanks for posting the realities of house rentals.
    I remember those tv shows that show how to buy a place, fix it up and rent it out to a nice quiet couple.
    Reality is much different.

MitchM, Feb 11, 2018
    addy1, j.w and sissy like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question