Our Koi died. Help!!!

Reaction score
So, my wife and I just completed our pond. We had our 3 Koi and goldfish in the house for the winter while the pond was being built. We put the fish in the pond about 2 weeks ago, and all of a sudden our biggest, fattest koi died. The temperatures fluctuate alot this time of year in our area (by Calgary), and I'm not sure if it's the temperature that did him in or not. I went to the local pet store and a guy told me to put in one of those di-icer heaters and turn the pump off to let the water temperature heat up a little bit. I'm a little worried the other fish may end up dying, but he told me not to panic and just run the heater for a few days without circulating the water. The de-icer heater turns on when water temp is below 40 degrees F, and will turn off when above that temperature....it is "on" right now as we speak. Does this sound like the right thing to do?

Help!!!

Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I dont think the heater will hurt now...did you just take them from the warm house and put them in the cold water ?

Reaction score
Well, the day that we decided to put them in the pond, the weather was at about 65 F. I put them in a big bucket, with acqarium water, set the bucket in the pond for about an hour, then I scooped a little pond water into the bucket ( a little at a time). Then, when the bucket was full of both types of water, and the tempature was the same as the pond water, I put the fish in. That was about 2 weeks ago. Since I put the fish in, they haven't eaten (which I assume is normal for the water temp), but the one fish was hanging out on top of the surface, while the other 5 were primarily in a group at the bottom of the pond. The one that died was at the surface. The pond is located in a pretty shady area of our yard, and right now (this early in spring) it only sees about 1.5-2 hours of direct sunlight a day (clear days of course). As the days go by it will get more, but for now it doesn't get alot of radiation to heat up the water this early in spring. The guy at the store suggested turning off the pump for a while, so the direct sunlight the pond does get, will warm the water slowly...instead of it being pumped so fast that it can't warm up.

I'll post a pic of the completed pond when the wife gets home (she's the photographer around here ;)....but for now I'm just worried more fish may die because of prolonged cold temperatures.

I guess I just assumed that since they were still alive after 2 weeks of being in the pond that the transition was a success. Could I be wrong?

Reaction score
Here's the poor guy. He's the white one.....

023.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It does sound like the move went ok,,,So its back to why the fish stayed on the top of the water. did he act dif in the indoor pond ?

Reaction score
The cool water should have no affect on your fish. I winter our fish in our pond, last year we have over 24" of ice, so cold water won't kill them.

How long was the pond filter running before you put the koi into the pond? You stated its a new pond.

I know koi can't digest certain foods in cooler water. Not suppose to feed koi if the water is below 50f. I don't think that would kill a koi that fast though.

Ask a Question