Our new pond DIOS (did it ourselves)

Reaction score
I read the did you dig it thread I thought I would share our story.
My wife and I are both blue collar and we have no choice but to build our own ponds. We keep an eye out for free local rock and read forums and for ideas and study pictures we take from the local pond tour.
Our first pond (2002) was a tub that we bought from Sams club and we were very happy with this set up. We loved sitting by the pond watching the fish and landscaping the pond. I used a Rubbermaid tub with bio balls and bridal veil for a filter and we always had crystal clear water.
Last summer we decided to go with a liner and used the existing hole from the tub. We moved the rock wall out a foot and made the pond bigger and deeper but not necessarily better. I thought that I could still use the same Rubbermaid tub for a filter that worked for the tub and I didn’t think we needed the expense of a skimmer. Also I did not work hard at leveling the pond and as soon as we filled the pond that was very apparent. The pond looked nice and the neighbors and friends complimented us but we were not happy.
Over the winter we decided to redo the pond and started thinking of different designs. We started with a basic design and started the project and once again moved the rock wall out another foot. With little knowledge of leveling something this big and not having a transit I took a long time trying to get the sides level. Most things will come to me and I usually figure most things out but the whole concept of getting the sides level was a struggle for my wife and me. I bought a laser level at sears and we started the process and after much trial and error we had it down. We studied pictures on the internet and from our past pond tours and started buying products. We bought an aquascape Mico skimmer and the Aquascape micro falls. Amazingly after some thought and not rushing things we got the skimmer and falls set and never had to redo them. We put in the liner and added water rock, plants and fish and the results are in the pictures. Most of the design thought comes from me, and my wife and I discuss the pro’s and cons but we were at a full stall with falls and couldn’t decide how we wanted the final product to look. One afternoon I went for a bike ride and after a couple hours when I came home Deb had the Oklahoma moss rock laid in and the falls were set. We didn’t need any foam to seal things and we (Debs work) have had many compliments on the falls.
The week we rebuilt the pond it rained several times. Each time we tarped and re-laid the old liner in the pond and the pond stayed dry. I have included a picture of the deluge we had that despite the tarps filled the hole with water. Three cities were hit by tornadoes and we had a tornado pass a few miles away but all we had to deal with was massive rain fall.
We have 7 Koi and 6 Comets and the ecosystem is setting up very nicely. I work 24 hour shifts and sitting by the pond in the morning after work is a great stress reliever. This last week we added lights and it has made evening pond sitting all the more enjoyable. We are on our sixth year with a pond and I cant see us ever not having one.
Larry & Deb.

Attachments

• 001 THE TUB.jpg
    001 THE TUB.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 758
  • 002 THE TUB.jpg
    002 THE TUB.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 694
  • 003 1ST LINER.jpg
    003 1ST LINER.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 833
  • 004 1ST LINER.jpg
    004 1ST LINER.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 711
  • 005 1ST LINER.jpg
    005 1ST LINER.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 752
Reaction score
Additional pictures

Attachments

• 006 2ND LINER.jpg
    006 2ND LINER.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 602
  • 007 HAPPY DIGGERS.jpg
    007 HAPPY DIGGERS.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 008 THE DELUGE.jpg
    008 THE DELUGE.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 009 ROCK & WATER.jpg
    009 ROCK & WATER.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 010 FINISHED.jpg
    010 FINISHED.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 696
Reaction score
Additional

Attachments

• 011 FINISHED.jpg
    011 FINISHED.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 583
  • 012 FINISHED.jpg
    012 FINISHED.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 013 DEBS FALLS.jpg
    013 DEBS FALLS.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 642
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 597

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
Very nice pond :icon_smile:, I am also a DIOS and love the satisfaction of completing a job well done. How may gallons is your pond now? I'm asking because 7 koi will probably be too much for the size that it appears. When I built my pond I accepted the fact that goldfish were the only kinds of fish I could have in my 1100 gallon pond but I after careful consideration I did cave and get 1 Koi. There are so many beautiful goldfish out there that when they grow are hard to tell from koi, my friend has a few. You can always keep them though until they get too big and then find them new homes. :icon_smile: Once again... Great job!

Lolly

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, I worry about 7 Koi being to many but like you say we can give a couple away in the future if they grow that large. The pond is 700-800 gallons. I use the filters on the micro falls and also bought a Tetra pressurized filter for a 2500 gallon pond for the added filter capacity. The old Rubbermaid tub made us fans of clear water and so far our new system is working very very well.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
the pond looks great,,,enjoyed the pic of your wife and you working on it ,,its all fun,,,if you have clean water the koi wont mind...job well done.

Reaction score
Thanks Doc, it was definitely a team effort. It was a lot of fun mixed with a lot of head scratching a little cussing and a gallon of sweat.

Ask a Question