MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are a number of automatic chicken doors on the market. Some are cheaper, some not. Some work better, some not. We went with this one: https://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door

The hens we are getting are Red Sex Link Hens. They are hybrids. I like heritage chickens better...like you just got, but it is hard to find 17 week old heritage chickens, and when you do, they are usually twice as much. I don't feel like starting with chicks again since there could be more problems with my present hens since the chicks will be "foreign" to them.

Sounds like with all those predators you have, you really can't free range if you want to keep chickens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We too have a zoo, 3 dogs, cat. 2 chinchillas, 2 goats, rabbits, chickens, aquarium/pond, and various snakes & a gecko.
You're living my dream, I would love to have a barn where the animals live cage free together....but I have way too many predators
I'd love to see pics, if you have them :)

I have 2 dogs, 1 African Gray parrot and my koi pond...that's all I can afford with my work schedule

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dad used chickens on his organic farm ,great for pest control and fertilizer .I used to love to watch them root the soil around .It was the cutest thing ever .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The hens get locked in the coop every night. We free range them on the property, and they return each night on their own before dusk. The windows and the vent holes have hardware cloth over them (heavy wire mesh 1/4" x 1/4") to deter predators, and the chicken door at the coop and the run get closed. The one to the coop is an automatic door that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. The door to the run is on a long rope up to our deck, and I open that each morning and close it each evening.

The first year we had them, we always kept them in the house and the run. Starting the 2nd year, we decided to free range them on the property so they would have more room and get better nourishment (seeds, bugs, worms, etc.). We had little predator problems until last year. We lost 1 or 2 here and there...either to a fox or a hawk...all we would find is a bunch of feathers scattered in one spot. Then, last summer, we had a Saturday massacre. We came home from the grocery store to find 3 hens gone and the rooster dead down in the field. He must have put up some fight because there was a trail of feathers up one side of the field and down the other. We found him dead with his neck ripped open. He must have bled out. Whenever one gets taken by a predator, they get nervous and hang out in the coop and run...and, we keep them locked in for at least a week to make sure the predator knows the free lunch is over. It's always upsetting, but it is part and parcel for free ranging chickens. They have a happier life and get much better nutrition than any chicken food you could provide.

We started with 16 3 years ago; we gave two roosters away and two new ones were born. One chicken had to be put to death and another one just dropped dead one day...not a scratch on her. We now have 3 - 3 year old hens. We are planning to get 7 - 17 week old hens next week. Right now I am splitting the run in two and will build a small temporary coop in the 2nd half for the new hens where they will live for a week to 10 days while our old hens and the new ones get used to each other. Slowly, we will introduce them to each other, and that will cut down on any severe squabbling...you know "hen pecking" and the "pecking order". It is serious chicken business.

This is a pic of a bunch of them from early last spring sitting on the beams that we were to use for the foundation of our greenhouse. (We had dug it out before winter, but they scratch a bunch of dirt back in!) Notice the rooster is standing and observing. Roosters take good care of the hens...watching for problems, making warning calls when a problem is spotted, directing them to food, and letting them eat before he does. It is absolutely amazing to raise. The ones pictured here are: Delawares (white), Barred Rock (gray and black lines), New Hampshire Reds (tan), Jersey Giants (black), and Golden Wyandottes (black and tan). All lay brown eggs. (BTW...there are no difference between white and brown eggs. Many people think brown eggs are better for you, but it is not true. And, fresh farm eggs have much more nutrition and less cholesterol than store bought ones.)

View attachment 97597
I'm truly enjoying all that you've posted, thank you! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pleasure. I can't really say to much about ponds with no experience...yet, but I do know about chickens
This may sound like a stupid question, but what about the rooster?.... is it necessary to have a rooster for the hens to lay eggs?
Are roosters mean towards the owner?

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, but what about the rooster?.... is it necessary to have a rooster for the hens to lay eggs?

Roosters are only needed if you want fertilized eggs to incubate and hatch young ones, but hens will lay without one.
I've have both. My parents had chickens when I was little, we had one rooster, he would flog you every chance he got. I have a rooster now, he will come running if a hen is making noise, but he is really laid back and either lets me pet him or just walks off.

Reaction score
You're living my dream, I would love to have a barn where the animals live cage free together....but I have way too many predators
I'd love to see pics, if you have them :)

I have 2 dogs, 1 African Gray parrot and my koi pond...that's all I can afford with my work schedule

Well, they do all have cages, can't be having 50 million rabbits running around LOL.

20170226_162403.jpg 20160518_195657.jpg 20150820_171236.jpg 20160415_163645.jpg 20161111_195126.jpg 20160710_152058.jpg 20160928_174536.jpg 20160610_192716.jpg 20170225_151356.jpg20160402_132041.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No need for rooster they ar just noise makers .My parents never had a rooster .They had chickens for over 30 years .

That's a relief, I'd be afraid of a rooster!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was also thinking of hatching (incubator) a couple of ducklings, someday, has anyone ever done that?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Hens will lay eggs without a rooster, but you can't have chicks without a rooster. Some people don't like eating fertilized eggs, but unless you know what to look for once you crack the egg open, you would not know whether it was fertilized or not, and it does not change the taste. Hens will only hatch fertilized eggs if they go "broody"...sit on the eggs...some breeds are more broody than others.

Roosters can be very mean and attack humans depending on their temperament...and, if they think you pose a risk to the hens or the chicks. You can "convey" to a rooster that you are not trying to take over his job...and he will leave you be...but, it takes training from the time he is a chick.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No need for rooster they ar just noise makers .My parents never had a rooster .They had chickens for over 30 years .

Roosters do crow a lot...and not just in the morning, but they are also great hen protectors.

Ask a Question