addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dont know if it's black or honey locust but I'm glad I know now!
The black locust get long white flowers bundles hanging down, very sweet smelling, fav nectar for the bees.
They just quit blooming here.

Reaction score
I
The black locust get long white flowers bundles hanging down, very sweet smelling, fav nectar for the bees.

I'm not big into the spring honey, I prefer the fall honey, darker and a sweeter taste to me.

Here are the bunnies at 8 days, pic taken last night. I saw 2 with eyes open this morning.
20170523_171238.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didnt see any flower at all... I'm sure mine would've been started and done a while ago. hm.... so honey locust then?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didnt see any flower at all... I'm sure mine would've been started and done a while ago. hm.... so honey locust then?
The honeylocust:
images

Black locust:

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-24_11-58-17.jpeg
    upload_2017-5-24_11-58-17.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The bunnies are super cuddly cute. What do you do with them? Are they pet or livestock?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for taking your time to post that! You had quite the adventure doing that lol! Im glad you & the ducks enjoy it, ill definitely have to make something similar now one day, as right now we just have like a 1/2 ft deep black tub (3 ft wide) from the tractor supply store for them to dunk in every once in a while (its filled all the time though).
*writes down on bukkit list*
lol
Thank you again :)
Just FYI that if you decide to build a raised pond for them, dont make it as tall as mind or you will need to brace the side. I had to braced mine where the bottom of my pond was not under the ground (my land is slope) or the water pressure will make the tank bow out. Mine is fine now, still a little bow but I find something I need to tweak every few days (like I think it's probably better to have a filter outside than the inside becasue the dam I build is now tilting a bit from water pressure so I dont know if I can put any gravel in there, if I do that wall might come down)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When we feed our ferrets in the top shelf of their cage, rather than run into the cage and up the stairs with her sisters, our ferret Flopsy will literally just flop over on the floor and stare at us until we scoop her up and place her next to the food. Laziest baby eveeeer! <3

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
SAD NEWS :cry:

Last week while I let my chickens and ducks out to the yard, two of the ducks probably got to the copperhead nest so they got bit. One died a few hours later and the other one recovered (probably just got a scratch) I was upset but happy my baby Blue is ok (I hatched Blue)

This morning I went to the coop and saw a duck head, my heart sank. I saw 3 ducks walking and knew right away that Blue's dead. I found Blue got eaten inside the run. I think the animal (probably a raccoon) probably got Blue last night before they went into the coop because there's no hole or a way for them to get into the coop.

My two other smaller chickens are also missing, probably got scared off and flew out then couldn't come back in the coop and were some other animal dinner. :cry::cry::cry:

I'm now down to 3 ducks. I'm going to try to get electric fence up today after work.. dont know if I can because we have such thick vegetation around the run.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not a good morning...

I walked out on our front porch at about 4am this morning to find my worm composting bin had a visitor last night that ate the food in it and probably a bunch of worms. There were worm castings all over the porch. I had moved it to the porch when it got a lot of fruit flies. Now, that there aren't any fruit flies, I'll move it back to the kitchen or down in the cellar.

A little while later while I was sitting at my desk when the chickens started making an awful commotion. I got out there just in time to see a raccoon over one of the chickens in the run. I opened the door and the raccoon ran out, but not before he killed my last barred rock. In the coop, he killed our last Jersey Giant....both 3.5 years old and from our original flock. All of this within a minute. My guess is he somehow was able to get the sliding door on the run up just enough to get under it. This is the first time in 3+ years we've had a kill from a raccoon.

No a good way to start the morning! :mad::(

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nepen if you try an electric fence try one of these; https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...0y7WrMgmIB_0LoCgPMEYtn-Q79D--GqVZIaAogY8P8HAQ
Sorry for your loss by the way, we try not to name our animals (the farm animals) because if they die then we will get upset. Which it is upsetting anyway but you wouldn't be As upset as you would if a pet had died. If your doing this for like a butchering and food factor (not eggs) then don't name them and don't consider them pets because if one dies (basically a 50/50 chance for all poultry) then youll cry like the dickens. We named our first batch of ducks years ago and my dog ate them ALL and I almost killed him (chicka chicka, POW).
Rip. Jr. The best chicken for some reason. 2007 to 20010

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I forgot all about this thread, so here's the update...
I purchased 5 chicks back in March: 2 Blue and 1 Black English Orpington (siblings), 1 Black Australorp and 1 American Buff Orpington...

The weather kept setting us back in building the coop, so I had to keep them in a temporary coop in my basement, and clean every day to keep them from smelling
Of course everyone's favorite turned out to be a cockerel so I gave it to a very sweet lady who loves him just as much as I did, and sends me regular updates

The coop isn't finished yet, but we were able to put the pullets in it a few weeks ago.
The coop project....
We started by digging a trench (forgot dimensions but you get the idea)and building a rat wall....
IMG-20170414-WA0000.jpeg 20170414_153634.jpg IMG-20170516-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170528-WA0002.jpeg
The two sides are the same, and the front and the back are identical, except for the front has a screen door and the back has a tiny chicken door (I love) built into the large door 20170617_155122.jpg 20170617_155211.jpg 20170708_104432.jpg
We need to finish siding the back and put up a run, then we'll work on the front porch, and of course a window box and a nice knocker ring for the door :)this is where we are right now 20170710_085525.jpg

Ask a Question