Our pond in Florida

Reaction score
Just got finished with some spring cleaning, but here are some current pics of the pond. I will update this thread when we get everything back to 100%.

I am using a skimmer box, 2100 GPH pump, FishMate UV clarifier/filter, and custom slate rock waterfall. Plants consist of Egyptian Papyrus, Imperial Taro Colocasia, lilly pads, Blue Iris and some jasmine ground cover around the waterfall. We have 18 Koi, some conceived in the pond :D

3627101770_54bdc694ab.jpg

3626286697_aae8d93f50.jpg

3627100524_992f6b8d20.jpg

Reaction score
way cool what are thoes elephant ear lookin plants i like em, and thoes floating plants u have their how do u keep em alive w/o the koi eatin em

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yes the elephant ear looking plant is a Taro. They are not sold in stores here as "pond plants" but I planted some and they ended up taking off after a few months. I did not think they would get that big! I will post more pics up soon.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Taro is one of the plants I have been cutlivating and it seems to be in high demand here in So Cal.
Taro bread can be found in asian stores, it has a purple streak in it. If you love sweet breads this one will grab you.
Taro is also what the Hawaiians use to make Poi.

Reaction score
Good info Dave. They grow super fast here in FL. The only downside is that you have to constantly clean up the old dead leaves/stems.

Reaction score
beautifull fish, the water is lookin great now, i had gold koi like that last year, the lady i bought em for called em "dragon butterfly koi" they were awesome lookin but they jumped out of my pond i put in the basement last winter didnt find em till it was to late

Reaction score
Our little clean up helped with the clarity, but there is not a lot of shade from the afternoon sun.

That is weird about the "dragon butterfly koi", because the fish pictured jumping for the food in the second pic did the same thing. We did a spring clean up a few years ago and put the fish in a temporary holding pond inside the house. I had to run to Lowes to get some supplies, came back, and he and his twin were both on the floor motionless. We put them back in the water and tried to get some water moving through them. They were swimming sideways for a few days, but finally made a full recovery. I have no idea how long they were on the floor, and I can't believe they both made a full recovery. He is one of my most active fish today, and I think he is one of the faster growing.

Ask a Question