6a
Country
United States
They are trouble around our ponds but they are beautiful. Taken in Florida

Great Blue Heron gpf.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I see a Blue Heron (I think) in a farm pond about a half mile from here all the time, I just hope he never finds me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We are surrounded by heron habitats - we see herons (blue and green) and egrets on daily fly-overs. We also see sand hill cranes on a regular basis. Luckily they have plenty of fishing holes and leave ours alone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We dont have Herons in Plymouth they overfly but live by the river Tamar in the unpopulated areas and we feel they can stay there nice looking as they are :happy:

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great pic Rob and speaking of the Devil..................he was here today at my pond. Actually he was on our house roof and swooped down just as I came outside which scared him in flight and he made some pissed off squawking sounds and flew to the top of the shed. I moved and he then flew to the shop roof......................ha, ha where my hubby and neighbor were on the other side of the roof putting the gutters back up and he got a real freak out then. Bet he didn't expect people on his landing spot. He made an urgent clumsy u-turn an almost did a nose dive backwards trying to get away. Last I saw he was flying west far away from here :LOL:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, and since we've just had some trees cut down, I am suddenly aware of this new danger. So, guess I'll be shopping for a temp GBH net [temp, until I get the pond finished & bog done -- then we'll come up with something more permanent].

It is a shame that they are such a nuisance for ponds, 'cause they really are spectacular birds! I still get excited when I see one along a roadside......especially when there is one that is just about to take flight -- so graceful!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
A great blue heron came by the other day... very first time in the year we've had the pond. Lucky we put in a big picture window so we can see the pond from inside the house and my wife jump out of her seat to go shoo the thing away... But it was HUGE! So far he/she never came back and all the fishes are accounted for...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They ARE rather intimitating, aren't they. We had one visit while we were on vacation. The neighbour saw it and, brave man that he is, he sent his 15-year old daughter over to chase it away! :eek:
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My cat loves chasing the heron. Her tail starts wagging violently back and forth and her cack, cack, cacking cat voice appears and all her hair stands up and off she goes from front to back of the house running while the heron flies from roof to roof back and forth they go!

Reaction score
Great pic Rob and speaking of the Devil..................he was here today at my pond. Actually he was on our house roof and swooped down just as I came outside which scared him in flight and he made some pissed off squawking sounds and flew to the top of the shed. I moved and he then flew to the shop roof......................ha, ha where my hubby and neighbor were on the other side of the roof putting the gutters back up and he got a real freak out then. Bet he didn't expect people on his landing spot. He made an urgent clumsy u-turn an almost did a nose dive backwards trying to get away. Last I saw he was flying west far away from here :LOL:
Not that's what I call a deterrent!!! Can they come hang out on my roof for a while?

Ask a Question