Out of town for 6 days, neighbors feed the fish?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I am planning a vacation out of town for a week, would you ask the neighbors to feed the fish if you trust them? I have 20 fish in an 8,500 gallon pond, I am tempted to turn the Pumps OFF for peace of mind, any thoughts? I have never had any leaks, I just don't want to have anything happen while I am away.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 8.54.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 8.54.02 PM.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 331

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your fish can easily handle a 6 day period without feeding...prepackage it in servings if you have them feed.i wouldnt shut down the pump(s) and filter(s). you'll being starting them up all over again. if you do i would sink an airstone or two in there. that may save some bacteria.

Reaction score
I would premeasure food for them and leave pumps running. In a pond that big I'm sure they can find food to eat as well. I'd just ask the neighbor to be sure the pumps haven't emptied the pond on accident.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Have confidence in your plumbing
And a baggy of food for each day your gone
Trust some one to shut it down if some thing goes wrong

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We sometimes leave for weeks, peek at the pond via camera's. Only one time has anything gone wrong, that was right after I added something then left town.
The fish get fed if the neighbor feels like walking over ow they live on the food in the pond and do just fine.

I am at the point now I don't really worry about it at all.

Reaction score
I have heard so many horror stories about helpful neighbors killing fish by overfeeding during a vacation. These were all neighbors who were considered very reliable before the incidents who were given detailed written instructions.

Unless the neighbor is a pondkeeper, your fish are much safer "living off the land." They'll be SO glad to see you when you get home.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Got a few cameras setup & a friend who is coming over to feed and check on this fish once a day. :)
They will be FINE.

Attachments

• IMG_5091-2.jpg
    IMG_5091-2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 294

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice dog butt shot! Love my cameras, I use them to check in on the pond anytime we are gone. So far saved the pond once, had a leak the neighbor fixed for me when I called her.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cool, wondering about the cost for a 2-4 camera setup with a web link?

addy1, I can't enlarge your pics for some reason.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
waynefrcan said:
Cool, wondering about the cost for a 2-4 camera setup with a web link?

addy1, I can't enlarge your pics for some reason.
You mean the ones in my signature? I use firefox that has an add on that enlarges signature pictures when you hover over them. OW they don't enlarge via the forum.

The q-see system I have, we picked up from costco one of the on line sales, paid around 300 something for it. It came with 8 cameras.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It really depends on the neighbors. I've had good neighbors who fed the fish really well, then both families moved away. A new family came that had a little girl. I asked them to do a small amount per day and when I came back after a week, they fed about 5 times the amount I asked. Fortunately, the fish were ok. I never asked them again. They also moved and I never asked anyone else after that.

Ask a Question