Outer Shelf for partial above ground pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building a 10’ x 10’ pond in my yard. My yard slopes. I dug into the slope to create a level surface. The frame is being made from 4x6x10 PT lumber. The lumber has 6” nails holding each “layer” to the wood below. It is all being held in place by rebar which runs through all the wood. Please see photo (still under construction).

I would like to have shelves at 4” and 8” going all the way around the pond. I only plan to put rocks and plants on the shelves. I thought about pouring concreate or using cinderblocks, but that really is overkill for my purposes. I was thinking of making wooden shelves out of plywood and 2 x 4s and then coating the wood with Pond Shield. This would be anchored on top of the liner so there are no structural issues.

Does this sound feasible or can you think of another way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pond1.JPG
    pond1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 446
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am from Massachusetts. According to my town, the pond must be under 2' deep of it is a pool and must meet local codes. I'm not worried about 2.5 feet. I bought a 15 x 15 liner, so I guss that is good enough for a 10 x 10 x 2' pond. The first shelve will be under water about 4 inches. The second shelf about 8". The shelves will be for rocks and plants to give the illusion of a natural wall. Also, a quick escape for drowning squirrels (I stored a fish tank out doors once and it was very sad finding bloated squirrels floating in it :-(

Once the pond is reading to fill, I'll put in the shelf structure over the lining.

I am also considering putting in a drain though I don't know how to make a sloped bottom. I could dig the dirt to make it slope, but I have sand that is going over the dirt and I assume it will move. I may not even use the drain at first but it seems like it would be a good cheap thing (in relation to other costs) to do now rather then regret doing it later. Maybe two separate drains. BTW: I work in Information Security and that is how we view life. If it is bad, it will happen. If bad guys have an option, they will do the worst.

Thanks for the help!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Craig, you might be cutting it very close with a 15x15 liner. You usually want a safety net of several feet on either side to allow for overlap, plus to have the extra in case you goof OR decide to go a tad bigger.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Craig - I have a 10x10x5 above ground pond built from wood. The liner you have will barely be large enough. 10+2+2=14. That gives 6" on each side to cover anchoring and the bottom will settle. I have no shelves in mine but you could put a second wall inside and backfill and then put your liner over the shelf.

Ask a Question