Over run with Duckweed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fishpond is currently over run with Duckweed. Is there an additive I can buy that will kill it off without endangering the fish please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You apparently don't have a koi . I take it your pond is on the smaller side?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
Yes. But I wouldn't use any for a garden pond especially if you have fish. Keyword 'Duckweed control' or 'Lemna' control. I agree with @GBBUDD, use fish. Goldfish will devour the stuff. There are all sorts of ways to deal with it depending on your pond's size and other factors. How many gallons is your pond? Do you have fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My fishpond is currently over run with Duckweed. Is there an additive I can buy that will kill it off without endangering the fish please?
Especially if your pond is small, it'll take you a whole 5 minutes to net it all out. Easy peasy. Had a 1000 gallon pool for overwintering and it was completely covered with duckweed by the time spring came (damn turtles; don't they know it's there for THEM??). Netted it out, threw it into the pond outside, in 3 days, it was completely gone. Wouldn't have taken THAT long if I'd done it in summer...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1633190485028.gif
@alshookup

1633190552020.gif

I just took a bunch of duckweed out of my fish free little wildlife pond yesterday. I just used a long bamboo stick and stuck it in the duckweed and wound the stick around it and pulled it out and took it to my big pond w/fish and they will suck it up in no time till every morsel is gone. I have goldfish only. Wonder why your fish don't eat it up? Anyways if you just keep pulling it out eventually you will either have it all gone or under control as long as you keep on top of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 143031@alshookup

View attachment 143033
I just took a bunch of duckweed out of my fish free little wildlife pond yesterday. I just used a long bamboo stick and stuck it in the duckweed and wound the stick around it and pulled it out and took it to my big pond w/fish and they will suck it up in no time till every morsel is gone. I have goldfish only. Wonder why your fish don't eat it up? Anyways if you just keep pulling it out eventually you will either have it all gone or under control as long as you keep on top of it.
do you have some sort of spreadsheet, or just a very very good memory of just what ani-gifs you have????? @j.w

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All organized by category and then some! I can easily find what I want in other words
1633196722722.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that skimming out any extra Duckweed (Lemna spp.) is the way to go. However it will likely decrease on its own anyway as Fall gives way to Winter.

If you do skim it out, use it as mulch or compost in your garden beds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 143031@alshookup

View attachment 143033
Me thinks that's the most twisted emoigi you've shared yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's crazy while my buddies and I stopped for a bite we sat at the. Bar when I got the most bizarre request ever. This well I belive he cled himself a guy came up to me and asked if he could get his girl friend in my bar stool so he could take a pic of her with this horrible plaster bust of Elvis it realy was that bad. And here you are with creepy Elvis number 2 in one day.. worst part is neither beat the fool that asked me to be in the pic with his gf .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to all who replied. It is only a small pond with a few Goldfish/Rudd and of varying sizes. I also have plants including Lillies which mean it is almost impossible to scoop out the Duckweed which gets amongst the leaves. If left a couple of days it seems to spread rapidly. I know you can buy a chemical additive for the Duckweed problem but don't know if it works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks to all who replied. It is only a small pond with a few Goldfish/Rudd and of varying sizes. I also have plants including Lillies which mean it is almost impossible to scoop out the Duckweed which gets amongst the leaves. If left a couple of days it seems to spread rapidly. I know you can buy a chemical additive for the Duckweed problem but don't know if it works.
if you take a rake in one hand and pull the lily leaves out of your way, then take the net in your other hand and get the duckweed. Not that hard. There's not going to be a chem that affects the duckweed and DOESN'T the lilies...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was my concern. Worried whether an additive would be less than desirable. Thanks for advice. Does the Duckweed sink to the bottom in winter or just die off?

Ask a Question