j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The duckweed I have in another tub pond just sits there on top of the water here but we don't get very cold in the winter. Sometimes tho it will freeze and get ice on top solid for a few days but duckweed is back after that and looking fine. Since your pond is not very big then I think you can just drag it out and keep doing that whenever you can and keep it under control that way. I would never add chemicals to my ponds, just not worth the risk of throwing your whole pond off balance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The duckweed I have in another tub pond just sits there on top of the water here but we don't get very cold in the winter. Sometimes tho it will freeze and get ice on top solid for a few days but duckweed is back after that and looking fine. Since your pond is not very big then I think you can just drag it out and keep doing that whenever you can and keep it under control that way. I would never add chemicals to my ponds, just not worth the risk of throwing your whole pond off balance.
Thanks for advice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just increase surface agitation. With enough movement, it'll be gone in no time.
Must be another reason besides just my fish eating it as I have pretty good agitation going on in my big pond. It always disappears fast!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me thinks that's the most twisted emoigi you've shared yet
Who me? Well as I'm relatively a newby to ponds I relish any info that could be useful to enhance the quality of life to the inhabitants of the new world I've created for them.
This duckweed that is being mentioned, is that the string alea kind, which is thread like when pulled at?
I've been putting off clearing mine out of my little 300gal pond, thinking the fish may appreciate it, and fine debris was getting, caught in it, but this evening I finally got to check on my fish and to my horror 1 of the orandas was snagged by the weed which was being drawn into the waterfall pump, No one gave me the heads up on the vaunerability of little oranders in small ponds with string algea, maybe I should post a comment on the newbys section, if string algea is the correct term lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Who me? Well as I'm relatively a newby to ponds I relish any info that could be useful to enhance the quality of life to the inhabitants of the new world I've created for them.
This duckweed that is being mentioned, is that the string alea kind, which is thread like when pulled at?
I've been putting off clearing mine out of my little 300gal pond, thinking the fish may appreciate it, and fine debris was getting, caught in it, but this evening I finally got to check on my fish and to my horror 1 of the orandas was snagged by the weed which was being drawn into the waterfall pump, No one gave me the heads up on the vaunerability of little oranders in small ponds with string algea, maybe I should post a comment on the newbys section, if string algea is the correct term lol
no, duckweed is wary wary small, its got widdle widdle woots and you can awe-most fit one on a needle hwead. :p

You're describing string algae and yeah, the fish WILL eat it but most take a stick and swirl it out as it tends to get tangled on the other plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me thinks that's the most twisted emoigi you've shared yet

no, duckweed is wary wary small, its got widdle widdle woots and you can awe-most fit one on a needle hwead. :p

You're describing string algae and yeah, the fish WILL eat it but most take a stick and swirl it out as it tends to get tangled on the other plants.
I'm incressed!!! (^o^)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just stop feeding your fish... they will eat it and it will diseappear in a month.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just stop feeding your fish... they will eat it and it will diseappear in a month.

Shortly after filling my pond I was thinking of introducing that duck weed, then wondered if it would overrun n take over the pond, if only I'd of joined this forum sooner, still I may get some in if there's any about leading up to winter, then the fish might have something to nibble on if they have the odd wake up from their dormant state if I'm not around to treat them other than Xmas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shortly after filling my pond I was thinking of introducing that duck weed, then wondered if it would overrun n take over the pond, if only I'd of joined this forum sooner, still I may get some in if there's any about leading up to winter, then the fish might have something to nibble on if they have the odd wake up from their dormant state if I'm not around to treat them other than Xmas
not sure it'll last cold temps; I've never had any over winter. The seeds lay dormant and when conditions are right (typically warmer weather), that's when it'll start exploding. You can try, though, and you'll probably at least have some seeds for springtime. With fish though, you may never see it! That's why I keep some by itself, for snacks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish eat any that manages to get into the pond with fish. I have some growing here and there a volunteer plant. If I see a bunch of it I grab and toss into the pond and the fish inhale it.

Ask a Question