Over wintering pond plants, some of the common ones

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Country if you are going to keep the elephant ears as houseplants then I would bring them in tonight. I tried keeping them as houseplants but halfway through winter they died. I think they got a little to dry when, they like lots of humidity a good fertilizer every few weeks, and lots of light. Good luck with your hyacints and lettuce, I am still debating whether to overwinter a few or just start over next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, this year being my first year with my pond, and since my hyacinths did very poorly in the main pond (maybe the fish were eating the roots and killing them?), I decided to try since they did much better in the bog, where the fish cannot go. They are doing even better in the bucket with the light. I'm shocked. Everyone made it sound like they are hard to keep through the winter, so I figure they are just teasing me now. LOL It won't take any space or much time for me to put them in the basement, which is mostly unfinished, and just the electricity for the light, so not too bad. The dwarf lettuce were tiny little plants I bought at the local pet shop, but they grew much bigger (from less than 1" in diameter for the 3 petal plant to more like 2" or more in diameter per plant) in the bog in the sunshine, so waiting to see if they like it better or not as well with the artificial light. It's my experiment year.
Most all other plants will remain in the pond. I think the top of the lily pots are at 10", so I think they are safe on the shelves where they are, rather than put them on the bottom. I'm wondering about the parrots feather, which I put in the "pool" at the bottom of my short waterfall stream, just before it goes into the pond. It has grown huge, too, taking up the complete 3' diameter pool. It's only about 8" deep of water there. My list says that it can remain in the pond as long as the top of the pot is below the water surface. The waterfall will eventually be shut off, but I think that the pool will keep water in it, as it's obviously lower then the waterfall point. I also have some red stemmed parrots feather, but that's going to be a crap shoot, as it's sprouted up here and there. Someone said the regular is far more tolerant of the cold weather than the red stemmed variety.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My parrots feather didn't make it last year b/c it was in my creek and I don't think the water was deep enough throughout the winter only a few inches.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Country if you want to make sure it survives (Parrots Feather) I'd put it in a deeper pond. Mine is just stuck in between rocks around pond and it survives but you are colder where you are. You could try and leave some in the shallow part and some in the deep and see how it fairs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good idea, JW. It's really big, so would be easy to split it and put it at several levels and see how it does next spring. I'm sure where it is now will freeze solid sooner or later, even though it's 8", it's above ground level. The pot it's in is close to 8" tall, so the top of the plant is close to water level. I can put some in a pot deep in the bog (up to 4" over top of pot) and also some in a pot on a shelf with 10" over the top of the pot where it would not freeze. That's where the lilies will remain.

Reaction score
I brought all my hyacinths in a few weeks ago. They are doing well with a blue and red LED growth light that I bought on Ebay. Hopefully they survive and I can put them in the pond late Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I will probably buy 2 grow light tubes to replace the regular florescent bulbs I have in the light fixture right now, although they sure seem to love it! Brought elephant ear and taro in last night, and we got a pretty good frost this morning. Totally forgot about the mandevilla vine. It's a tropical, and I bring it along with the arbor it's on into my dining room, put it in front of the sliding door. I'm hoping since it's right next to the house, it will not have been affected by the frost. It's still blooming beautifully! I bought it last year, since I've never had any luck with clematis vines. This one is doing great, just have to bring it in for the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The star grass needs to be brought in, country, it is only good to zone 8. Keep it in a pot with some water, mini bog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Country, you will need to get Malaria shots for all your family cuz sounds like you will be having a jungle in your home w/ all those plants you are bringing inside, lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Addy. It's in with the Thalia and Hibiscus, so it will come to the basement with lights for winter. :) Had frost this morning, so would have thought the Thalia would have died, but it is alive and growing still. Supposed to get temps back up to the 80's this coming week, so they will be good for a while yet. :)

Reaction score
i have a question for the creeping jenny i have tons of it and much of it hangs off into the water, should i cut them back above the water line before winter?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep or they will rot in the pond and you sure don't want that .Give them a good haircut it will not harm them and will really help them grow a better root system .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cattails do fine, mine are dwarf and they have survived two winters.

Dwarf papyrus/umbrella needs to be brought inside for the winter.

Ask a Question