overflow drain on above-ground pond?

Reaction score
Do I need to put an overflow drain on my pond?

It's partly in-ground (4 feet deep into the ground) and partly above ground (another 2 feet above). The above-ground portion is made of landscaping timbers, and the whole thing is lined with 45ml pond liner (the EPDM - I think that's the right initials? - stuff). I'm going to cap it off with some nice untreated kiln-dried cedar boards I bought. I'm thinking I won't need a drain because there's sure to be teeny tiny gaps between the cap and the liner (due to liner folds making it higher in some spots) where overflow from rain will run out? However, if that's not the case, I need to know before I cap it. That way I can carve a little channel/groove into the top timber, under the liner, before I cap it. I figure if I do it that way, I can then silicone some mesh over the hole on the inside, so I don't wind up with floating plants or small fishies going out through that low point...

I did have the forsight to make sure that the frame was slightly higher in the back, where it butts up against the house. That way if it overflows it will do so on the low side - out into the yard, instead of pouring water against my house's foundation...:)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I dont think in your case you would need one ,,,the water should just seap out under the wood capping...
the ponds that need a overflow are the ones with a mound of dirt above the pond rim ,and the water has no were to go but up..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dr case is right there.. but if your not perfectly level you could put a notch in your lowest corner and silicone a 1/2" pvc pipe out and elbowed down to the ground

Ask a Question