Overflow help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks. im new to ponds so please bare with me.

i have an existing in-ground boxed shaped pond with a bottom 3" drain. Looks like a standard shower drain. Pond does have a water faucet to refill if i like. Theres currently no fish in It.

any ideas on how to put an overflow on the top of water line for drainage as i am looking to put constant drip. I need a Overflow kit that can connect to Bottom drain so water will drain down to it as water fills up pond.

i was thinking to add a fernco donut reducer from 3" to 1" then run a pvc pipe to the top. Let the water drain out as pond keeps filling up.
Any better ideas?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1590175980218.gif
@Datnoid718
Can't help ya w/drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The bottom drain is meant to pull the water from the bottom, through a filter and back to the pond. I don't believe it's actually meant to be a "drain".
But, maybe we can help...
Where do you intend on sending the water that you want to drain off?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bottom drain is meant to pull the water from the bottom, through a filter and back to the pond. I don't believe it's actually meant to be a "drain".
But, maybe we can help...
Where do you intend on sending the water that you want to drain off?

ok so this is a pond that i didnt build or Planned. Its going to sound weird.

the drain on the bottom is simply to drain the water out of the pond. Then i top it off with the faucet. (Water changes)

pipe goes underground to my basement where theres a ball valve. Old water then goes to the sewage pipes.

for filtration, i used a pump and canister. Again, i didnt build this. I had koi 4 yrs ago in the pond. I would like a slow drip to add constant new water and an overflow on top so its constantly changing the water.

i dont want to break the concret slabs around it to repipe. Just looking for a quick setup for overflow and auto drip

Reaction score
Country
United States
The red writing is what i want to add

Attachments

• 1E1A98A4-9431-49E2-AFDB-FCBA11EB0B62.jpeg
    1E1A98A4-9431-49E2-AFDB-FCBA11EB0B62.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ok so this is a pond that i didnt build or Planned. Its going to sound weird.

the drain on the bottom is simply to drain the water out of the pond. Then i top it off with the faucet. (Water changes) .......................Aquariums do water changes Ponds we want the bitopes and bacteria to not have fresh tap water thrown at them all the time as chlorine is made to kill bacteria that we want ..

pipe goes underground to my basement where theres a ball valve. Old water then goes to the sewage pipes.......................Pond water is like miracle grow for outdoor plants

for filtration, i used a pump and canister. Again, i didnt build this. I had koi 4 yrs ago in the pond. I would like a slow drip to add constant new water and an overflow on top so its constantly changing the water....................... Not what has been excepted as best routine anymore.

i dont want to break the concret slabs around it to repipe. Just looking for a quick setup for overflow and auto drip...................Many here have Bath tubs no flow no drain no new water it rains it works and have had them for years...........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Many of us don't have bottom drains. Mine doesn't. And those that do are more concerned about sucking the settled debris out of the bottom than water changes.
I very rarely, if ever do water changes. It rains and somewhere around my pond there is a low spot that the excess water flows out of. I think I generally know which area that might be, but it doesn't concern me the least bit. Heck, if it's raining, it doesn't really matter where the excess pond water goes. Everything is getting wet from the rain anyway.
So basically, nature does my water changes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally installed it. Put a donut reducer on the floor drain to go with 1-1/4 pvc And added a ball valve (can turn it on and off with a custom made metal pipe). Then silicone it for extra leak proof. Added strainer on top

Attachments

• A6AD9C49-A989-4CA6-92F5-E0177BDC4B04.jpeg
    A6AD9C49-A989-4CA6-92F5-E0177BDC4B04.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 9727C377-DDCE-4340-B04E-85CCC41C0FA6.jpeg
    9727C377-DDCE-4340-B04E-85CCC41C0FA6.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 74
  • EB743900-8C5F-4B3E-9E1D-17B3F932D801.jpeg
    EB743900-8C5F-4B3E-9E1D-17B3F932D801.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 77

Ask a Question