Overflow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Anyone make an intentional low point to overflow or have a high drain line?
I was thinking of placing one in my skimmer but it will get closed off and drained when I shut the pump down for the winter so it will not freeze and crack.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, but I made a low point at the edge of the pond, that just overflows through the rock edging then away from the pond as the surrounding ground falls away.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did the same as @Jhn . The liner is lower under that grouping of rocks at the right of the picture. I realized I needed the overflow when it rained and my skimmer wasn't working - the water was higher than the skimmer opening.

overflow (3).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
For me it basically doesnt matter where the overflow is. It-is-where-it-is... and I don't even know where it is these days. Years ago I was conscious of it, but now, I don't care.
For some people it may be different, but my yard is quite rustic in that area and the overflow of water can't hurt anything. I'm on a slight hill, so I get run-off from the top of the hill that splits around the pond when we get real heavy rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
For me it basically doesnt matter where the overflow is. It-is-where-it-is... and I don't even know where it is these days. Years ago I was conscious of it, but now, I don't care.
For some people it may be different, but my yard is quite rustic in that area and the overflow of water can't hurt anything. I'm on a slight hill, so I get run-off from the top of the hill that splits around the pond when we get real heavy rains.

That's me too. I know it overflows somewhere, but I don't know where "somewhere" is. I think some folks want to plan it out in such a way that their fish don't go over the edge. But for me, there are little cracks and holes where it gets out before getting to the very top edge of the pond rocks, so all but the tiniest of fish are fine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine too, just cracks between rocks where it leaks out. Can cause the ground to get mushy and rocks sink which pushes liner down and then muck seeps in. Had to re-do one side one year due to that issue. Good to have excess liner still attached for this reason.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have an actual overflow that goes to the storm sewer. When the water in the rain exchange gets too high it will slowly drain away. On a small suburban lot that’s 40% pond and 60% patio there’s not much choice for where to send the extra water!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a low spot on the down hill side of the pond, the water just goes right down our hill. Stacked up a lot of rocks to keep any fish from leaving their home when the water gets high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I ended up doing the same, low spot in the liner with rocks around it. I wanted it to flow away from the pond structure so I chose where to send it down hill.

Ask a Question