Overwhelmed by data - too much information - what do I really need?

Reaction score
I have a very small water feature - about 75 gallons with statue fountain in center. Have struck out completely with getting local help/advice on how to maintain. All research so far has related only to LARGE PONDS etc.
Don't have room for BIG pumps. BIG filters, BIG UV clarifiers. Water gets hot in TX summer, fresh water added daily, have 3 lillies, nevertheless water goes green/stinky in just a few hours in summer. I cannot sort through all the BIG Pond options to find what I need for such a small gallon feature. Any and all advice will be welcome.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
peroxide would help but you would need to watch your plants .I have a 25x 10 pond and put in 1/4 cup but when I do that I tke my water lilies out and put them in a barrel with miracle grow to fertilize them .If there were no plants you could get away with treating it like a swimming pool

Reaction score
welcome, I would say go to Lowes or do an online search for smartpond type filters.. I believe they are all-in-one pumps and filters using a sponge filter, and you would still have the function as a water feature to spray water up in the air some... some even come with a uv filter to kill the algae... they should be reasonably priced too

Reaction score
What size and type pump do you have? My first pond was a 250 or so gallon with a fountain in the middle. I ran a 300 GPH pump that I put inside a homemade pump box made from a black plastic kids lunchbox with holes drilled in it and scrubbers packed around the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I am a newbie here myself. But I have had a 150 gal stock tank pond for 2 summers with 5 to 7 4 inch goldfish so thought i would tell you what I used. Same as Garden Gimp I packed kitchen scrubbies all around my 250 GPH pump. Used 2 rectangle plastic containers from the dollar store. The storage containers that have plastic open weave sides. Can also use 2 indentical pasta strainers big enought to fit your pump inside. Stuff with the scrubbies and zip tie together. I also used a plastic watering can stuffed with scrubbies and sat at the edge of the pond. Water went from pump to bottom of watering can and back into pond. Kept my pond clear all summer.

Kristi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your problem with green water may have to do with you constantly changing the water. If I have it right, and I've only been "ponding" for 2 years, the beneficial bacteria (which will eat up the algae cells) is growing in your pond. When you swap out a lot of water at a time, you could be removing all or most of the good stuff, and replacing it with more of the cells that will grow algae. I know this sounds crazy, but try leaving the green water and fountain and lilies alone for a month, if you can handle that. Let the water "cycle", beneficial bacteria start to grow, and see if your green water clears up on it's own. Or, better yet, find a beneficial bacteria product at your aquarium store or pet store, or someplace other than Wal-Mart. they sell it for aquariums for the same purpose - to get rid of the algae, and it's safe for fish and plants. I use a product in the spring called "Pond Perfect". Nope, I don't sell it, but it helps boost the good bacteria quicker, once the water is warm (over 50 degree and going up, not swinging back and forth) and that will get rid of your bacteria. Other than that, figure out a way to run water through some quilt batting or something to catch the small algae cells. If you can run your pump into a laundry basket with quilt batting in it, that will catch the green stuff, and once you get rid of the green, put the pump back on the statue fountain.
Often people drain their water, and refill with "clear" water, only to have algae start back up right away. The key is to let the good bacteria build up and help you out. You can't see it, but once the weather warms the water up, it's growing. The key is to get it growing faster than the algae cells. Once you see the green water going away, you know the beneficial bacteria is overriding the algae, and you're on your way to clear water! Then, just top off the water when/if needed, don't clean the bottom or drain water out. Good bacteria grows in the layer of silt at the bottom of the ponds often, so let it stay, as long as it's not thick layer of leaves or something that is rotting.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, DP, but this is his first post, and if he/she didn't set it up to get a notification, they may not even know others have posted ideas! Yes, you're correct, it does grow on the liners, and in filters (which also is a good reason to filter the water going to fountain), and on any surfaces. I've read where it grows in the silt on the bottom of the pond and it's ok to leave a thin layer down there. I don't have hardly any leaves to contend with, so after a good netting in the spring, I don't net the bottom until late fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sissy: great idea about putting your lilies in miracle grow. I will look into this next time I am feeding other plants. Thanks for the idea.

Countryescape: by "good netting" do you mean removing as much debris manually as you can?

Ask a Question