Overwintering plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Greetings all,

I live on a Gulf island between Vancouver Island and mainland BC - zone 8a. I recall one winter when it got to -13C (8F), but that was an anomaly. Usually it doesn't go much below freezing. I have a pond/bog/stream. In the stream, I have a wonderful taro, Calocasia esculenta 'Blue Hawaii (zone 8-10), in a pot. I took it out and moved it into a basin of water in an unheated greenhouse. There are long roots extending through the holes in the bottom of the pot. Similarly, I have a society garlic, this one in a mesh-sided pot which I also moved into the greenhouse. Another society garlic is not in a pot, but is firmly established in the stones on the bottom of the stream, so I have left it in place. Also, I have a calla lily, Zantedeschia aethiopica, in a pot submerged in the bog. I assume it also has roots extending outside the pot. I have been advised to keep the pump and stream running all winter.
My questions are, should I be thinking in terms of moving all these plants into the greenhouse for the winter? Might they be fine if I leave them in the stream/bog etc? Also, if I move them into the greenhouse, should I cut the roots back?
Thank you for any help!
April

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm in zone 8a-b (right on the edge....). Everything I have in the pond and/or bog stays there during winter. So far, it's all come back -- I don't do anything special. But my advice would be to follow your instincts. Does zone 8 really reach that far north?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 8a-b (right on the edge....). Everything I have in the pond and/or bog stays there during winter. So far, it's all come back -- I don't do anything special. But my advice would be to follow your instincts. Does zone 8 really reach that far north?

It does, but only Vancouver Island and the immediate surrounding area.

cfs11x8E.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have trouble keeping up with these plant zone numbers.
They updated the Canada map at the beginning of 2015 to reflect our changing climate.
I think there's 2 versions, one of North America from the USDA and a separate one from Canada.

I used to live on Vancouver Island, and while is does not experience typical low temperatures seen by the rest of Canada, it does not experience the hot temperatures seen by Lousiana, TM.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Yes, the moderate climate is one of the main reasons I moved here. I was thinking that I might leave the society garlic that is settled into the stream bed where it is and see how it responds. I want to get more of this next year; it has been so successful: very pretty at the edge of the pond and stream, always tidy and cheerful, and flower stalks until the past week. The taro was also exceptional, a good size and exotic looking, it provided a place for the small birds to land before hopping down into the stream.
P1020908.jpeg

I don't know if you can see it in this photo but the taro is at the back at the head of the stream and the society garlic is right at the bottom (front).
I'm guessing that it would be a good idea to trim the roots of the taro - they extend about a foot through the holes in the bottom of the pot. Would it be best to wait till spring for that do you think?
Thanks for any input.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Trim the roots now. You may have to do it again in the spring.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you, John. It makes sense to me, but this is my first year of having water plants that are marginal in terms of hardiness, so I thought I'd ask. I have to say that this pond, etc. is the most wonderful thing I could have done to my property. It (and the birds who enjoy it bring me incredible pleasure!

Ask a Question