Overwintering water hawthorn?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
'ello all! I fully intend to keep water hawthorn in my container pond I am planning to set up. My question is this...how would you overwinter the thing? I was wondering if I could just put it in a well lit, cool aquarium inside (I could get the temp down into the 50's with fans) and keep it there until the weather is warm enough outside. Alternately, I was wondering if I could use an electric stock tank heater to keep the container pond liquid during the winter and thus not have to move the hawthorn at all. Any thoughts on either of these ideas?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Of course you could use a heater, even an aquarium heater set on the lowest setting would keep the container ice free.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Aquarium heaters can be used outdoors? Didn't know that...thankx for that tip!

By the way, could a similar method be used for other sturdy plants, such as hornwort and hardy lilies? And what kind of wattage would you recommend? (The container will be above ground, about 15 to 20 gallons, and I was wondering if a 250 watt stock tank heater would suffice)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Of course you could use a heater, even an aquarium heater set on the lowest setting would keep the container ice free.
Sorry, Peter, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Without knowing Joshaeus' location, we could be creating a disaster here. In my area (zone 5) an aquarium heater would almost certainly wind up crushed by the ice, and possibly create an electrical hazard. In a warmer area, maybe!
John

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am also zone 5 :) Guess no aquarium heaters then. Would a 250 watt deicer that they sell for water troughs work? Failing that, would my idea of bringing it inside and keeping it in an aquarium kept in the 50's fahrenheit work?

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I guess unless you monitor it an aquarium heater is a no go. But isn't Hawthorn supposed to be perennial? I've collected it in a mountain lake that gets covered completely by several feet of snow in the winter. I saw it and wanted it for the bright red flowers it showed.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Water hawthorn is the plant in my icon...it's an aquatic plant from south africa, Aponogeton distachyos. We may be talking about different plants...my bad.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Peter, you may be confusing Water Hawthorn with Brasenia shreberi, or Water Shield. The leaves of these two can be quite similar, although the stem connects to the Water Shield leaf in the center rather than the end, Also, the flower of Water Shield is reddish or purple instead of white. Also, it is native to much of North America, (as well as a few other spots).
As for the Water Hawthorn, it is hardy to zone 6, although I have had it survive for 5 or 6 years in my pond. Bringing it indoors would ensure its survival over the winter, though you may need a grow-lite over it.
John

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Peter, you may be confusing Water Hawthorn with Brasenia shreberi, or Water Shield. The leaves of these two can be quite similar, although the stem connects to the Water Shield leaf in the center rather than the end, Also, the flower of Water Shield is reddish or purple instead of white. Also, it is native to much of North America, (as well as a few other spots).
As for the Water Hawthorn, it is hardy to zone 6, although I have had it survive for 5 or 6 years in my pond. Bringing it indoors would ensure its survival over the winter, though you may need a grow-lite over it.
John
Not sure what I got but it had long flat oval leaves with small red flowers. Looked just like hawthorn..... with a red flower.

Ask a Question