Oxygen levels in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I've been holding back on asking this bc I was trying to research it myself, but there doesn't seem to be an answer so I'll ask it here.

Is it normal for goldfish/koi to dart up to the surface and swim back down. I'm not feeding, so it makes me think it's due to low oxygen. I have an air stone as well as a small waterfall.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and should I be concern?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They might be snatching up bugs. I see my fish do that sometimes.
I also have some goldfish that like to eat pellets like that. They'll dart straight up, grab the food and dive under. It's kind of funny.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Mmathis no I decided to diy a 200 gallon for them bc the 40 gallon was changing parameters too quickly. There are 6 goldfish in total. The biggest is 5 inches. And some white cloud minnows.

@poconojoe I was thinking that too but usually my minnows will already taken all the bugs off before my other fish even sees it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The behavior you are describing sounds normal. Low oxygen would have your fish hanging out at the surface gulping air. It may be there are bugs on the surface, or at least they think there are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They seem to have stopped from my observations. Just strange behavior

Ask a Question