Oxygen testing

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I do not see why testing for dissolve oxygen levels would be beneficial for the context of goldfish/koi pond hobbyists. When good pond husbandry is practiced, that is not allowing too much plant decay, good water circulation and aeration (waterfalls are not sufficient aeration), then you should never have to worry about your dissolved oxygen. If you maintain some good healthy algae in the pond, then this will also significantly increase oxygenation as long as it does not "spontaneously" collapse, dieing, turning into plant decay that zaps the oxygen.

I have been using a Pinpoint DO Oyxgen digital meter, but my pond is starting to transition more into growing vegetables, rather than just goldfish/koi/fish, and this changes things a bit.

If you want to use a cheaper liquid test kit, then look into LaMotte's Dissolve Oxygen test kit.

Dissolve Oxygen (DO) is quite difficult to accurately test due to the fact the test sample is instantly contaminated once the water is moved. This is why the meters with probes give better readings since water does not need to be moved.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Charles. Didn't think about the results being affected by removal of the water from the pond. Makes sense.
I had never used air pumps on the ponds before but lost my largest fish right after a storm. Air stones now running in both ponds-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Both ponds doing well- no more problems and I no longer freak out with storms. Air stones in both ponds and adding lots of crushed oyster shells to bring up water hardness. Tossing out the Tetra O2 test kit!

Ask a Question