Oyster Shells

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi,
Sent someone to grab my crushed oyster shells and the bag is different. Are these the same as crushed and safe? Never noticed the Cautions before on the other bag.

Attachments

• 20170506_140749~2.jpg
    20170506_140749~2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 280

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can;t really read what it says but looked at my bag and only caution it has on it not to inhale dust

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it says it is safe for chickens and you eat the eggs or chickens then it can't be bad .It is strange that my bag from tractor supply does not have all of that on it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awesome, Thank you both for your replies. Just wanted to make sure as I've not seen all that on bags I got before. What confused me was the Calcium Carbonate and Silica Quartz. I would have thought only crushed shell would be in there. Precautions are skin, breathing and eyes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
checked mine again and no mention of those 2 other items on mine .Maybe since I bought my bags it has changed .Mine are over 2 years old a kept in a tote with a seal

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Tractor supply does still sell manna pro and it is the one I bought and they sell dumor but it just says crushed oyster shells and just says calcium fortified

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tractor supply does still sell manna pro and it is the one I bought and they sell dumor but it just says crushed oyster shells and just says calcium fortified
So it doesn't have "Calcium Carbonate and Silica Quartz" listed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Calcium Carbonate will help buffer the pH. The Silica Quartz is a non-reactive binder.
What you purchased is not truly crushed oyster shells but a product manufactured to produce the identical results.
Just bag them and toss them in the waterfall or filter without washing, like I did with the oyster shells? Or should I find the real oyster shells?

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It contains silica quartz, aka sand. Silica is the cancer causing carcinogen here. The same warning is stamped on bags of play sand that I bought to fill a kids sandbox. (how strange is that?) Its bad for you if you breath in the dust over prolonged periods of time. I imagine the oysters are farmed in sand beds, so officially they have to list it on the bags.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/quartz_silica.html

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess you have to look at brands of crushed oyster .I bought the brand manno .My neighbor eats oyster and gave me the shells .I crushed thm with a small sledge hammer to put them in my stock tank to see if they work the same or change the water quality .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The hazard from the tiny amount of silica dust in oyster shell is minute unless you're using it at industrial scales, just don't breath the dust and you should be fine. I'm surprised there isn't a California Prop 25 warning too

Ask a Question