Painting a concrete pond and question about cement

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old concrete pond that Id like to paint. Now its just greyish, well, concrete looking lol. Im not concerned about leaking, its not leaking. Its purely for aesthetic reasons.

Now the surface is quite rough, I dont know how it was sealed or finished, but it doesnt look like there is a topcoat on it, or if there is, its not visible. It looks and feels like ordinary concrete, although it seems to absorb little or no water.

Any tips what I could use to colour it black? I was thinking of some sort of liquid rubber (rubson), but its not cheap (big pond) and while it wouldnt hurt, I dont really need its waterproofing capabilities. I just need a paint or something I can apply straight on somewhat dirty, rough concrete and that will hold under water and not be toxic for fish after drying (pond is partially filled and stocked).

Also, Im going to have someone make some walls inside the pond for a skimmer box and an extra plant filter and waterfall. I was thinking of using simple concrete blocks, but is there anything I should know for the mortar? Again Im quite concerned about toxicity (I cant drain the pond completely, but as it is water is low enough to work in that area of the pond)) and obviously it must resist water.

Any tips would be appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have see people talk about new concrete and mortar needing to be washed (I think they have said acid before used) ow ph swings. Do a search, I know there has been talk about how to treat concrete for use in a pond.

Have you checked pool paints? Do not know if non toxic for fish, but are used in pools for people.

Here is a link where they say it is safe for fish

http://www.lifeguardpaint.com/

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I have see people talk about new concrete and mortar needing to be washed (I think they have said acid before used) ow ph swings.

I know you have to do that for concrete, I think the word is "to let it cure". I know thats needed for a new pond (in concrete) has to be scrubbed with acid and consequently filled and drained and cleaned thoroughly a few times, but I think thats only to waterproof it? Also totally unsure if it applies to mortar, but I better find out before I start.

Have you checked pool paints? Do not know if non toxic for fish, but are used in pools for people.

Here is a link where they say it is safe for fish

http://www.lifeguardpaint.com/

Thanks, Ill look in to those. Though I hope to avoid having to use a primer.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
"pond armour" i believe is the name of a paint made for your needs. there is a guy who sells pond paint on eBay as well

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
"pond armour" i believe is the name of a paint made for your needs. there is a guy who sells pond paint on eBay as well

Found it.. but wow, not exactly cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/POND-ARMOR-SHIELD-EPOXY-SEALER-PAINT-CEMENT-LINER-FISH-/250740161077

'too much' for my needs I think, dont necessarily need a sealer, the pond already is watertight. It just needs color :cool:

But it might be an idea to use something similar on the brick walls I have yet to build. Even if there is anything toxic in the mortar, I just paint a coat of sealing over it before filling further? Since thats only a small area, the price doesnt bother me too much.

Reaction score
Googling around, it seems I need something like G4 or V8 pond sealer. Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POND-PAINT-WA...den_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&hash=item35b0a0c4dc

Not very cheap but doable. Unless someone has a reason why I shouldnt, construction on the skimmer will begin next week with regular concrete blocks and cement, and coating it with a pond sealer. Needs to cure almost a month though, on top of the time for the cement, so it will be a while before I have a full pond again. Oh well :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Better than wiping out your fishies! Nothing really goes fast in the pond business.

Ask a Question