Papyrus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Can papyrus (dwarf) be planted bare root in a pot with just pebbles or does it need soil of some sort? Also, how much water should be over the top of the pot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Papyrus (Cyperus papyrus) can be planted in a variety of media. Either pebbles or a heavy soils that stays settled will work.
Planting depth can vary from exposed, bog conditions to possibly as deep as three feet or more, but I would advise setting the container's soil surface no more than a few inches below the water surface, especially for a smaller, dwarf papyrus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Papyrus (Cyperus papyrus) can be planted in a variety of media. Either pebbles or a heavy soils that stays settled will work.
Planting depth can vary from exposed, bog conditions to possibly as deep as three feet or more, but I would advise setting the container's soil surface no more than a few inches below the water surface, especially for a smaller, dwarf papyrus.
Thank you for the quick response Marck…You are always so helpful:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My dwarf papyrus is in my (pebbled) bog with the top perhaps an inch above the pebble level and doing fine.
My full size papyrus is in pots, 2" below to 2" above the surface. They're "too much" for pond and bog; I have to trim their roots every month or 2, so I'll be rehoming them soon. (You are welcome to some, but ye gads, they're monsters!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks for this info and I appreciate your offer SarahT but my pond is at max now…pretty soon I will have to start harvesting:) everything grows so quickly here!

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had some full-size papyrus growing in 1" to 2" pebbles inside a pot-within-a-pot for the past 13 months. I am just now getting around to trimming and thinning them. The parent plant from which I propagated them was 6 feet tall. My wife's pond tank is only 100 gallons but so far so good. The papyrus is an excellent filter plant and I recommend it in pots for max control.
20210727_1057181836a1516fa4dc5b.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I PUT dwarf papyrus on top of an aquablock placed some gravel around it just to hold it standing straight. There was no pot no soils or gravel and it thrived just growing in the water with the crown above the water line ,

Ask a Question