Parrot feather

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have two six inch pots with Parrot Feather growing in them. Up until about two weeks ago the Parrot Feather has only taken up an area of about one foot diameter. Now, they are spreading rather quickly to about two feet in diameter, and growing. They are also dropping their roots into other bog plant pots.

I remember someone in another posting say the Pattot Feather is quite intrusive. They were right. Despite the unexpected take over, the frogs seem to enjoy hiding in them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Where I planted Hyssop, my Parotts Feather got choked out and no longer exists there. I had to set up an area all by itself for each plant.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
parrots feather is illegal in some states as it is invasive, and considered a nuisence. i cant buy it here...does yours have green or red stems? can you send me some?

Mine are green. I'm not sure what the shipping regs are from Ca. I know it is very hard to bring anything into the state.

Attachments

• Parrots Feather Many.jpg
    Parrots Feather Many.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 321

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes its not meant to be sold here too ..but i managed to get some on ebay ...and the last month or two its gone crazy and has spead all over the pond so i do think you have to watch it ...have some in bucket thingy before my little stream and it would block it if i didnt keep cutting it back !

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Stroppy
I have had it for years. Controlling it is as easy as reaching in and pulling out the excess. I sell them for a buck apiece and ran out this year except a few I kept to propagate a new crop for 2010.

How were yours shipped and packaged? I don't sell to anyone that cannot come here so I don't know the routine for shipping.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Koiguy,

I would be glad to send you some, and yes my parrot feather stems are red and green. E-mail me back with your address at (e-mail address removed) and I will mail you some with roots.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Dr Dave
it was in a jiffiy bag wrapped inside wet newspaper and was sent first class post ...it was fine i opened as soon as it arrived and put it in a bucket of water and it took off well

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanks for the offer of the parrots feather guys..i will definately accept the offer but think maybe next spring may be the time to do it...i dont know how it would fare this time of year...it does just go to the bottom and come up each year tho, right?if i remember correctly.. i was told the red stemmed is still legal here but they dont carry it...everyone wanted the green? is there a difference?

Reaction score
Yeah parrot feather can grow quite well indeed. As Oldmarine mentioned frogs love hiding in it but its also great cover for baby fry as well as a good way to protect goldfish, koi and other types of fish from predators like the heron. It will help protect them by giving them a place to hide. Other ways you can protect fish from predators too.

As for shipping parrot feather as seen above people may need to check with local state laws. Some it is prohibited and if your allowed a phytosanitary certificate may be required from the shipper.

I know if people are looking to have baby goldfish, koi or other types, parraot feather makes for a great spawning medium.

Ask a Question