addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't recall who asked if parrots feather would survive freezing/winter. I just turned on my stream, went to yank out the parrots feather that, when we did freeze, was in a block of ice. It is in one of my small ponds. Never got around to moving it to the big pond.

Anyways, don't toss your parrots feather, the stuff that was in water, even though it was quite often frozen in ice, is growing nice new stems. It looks dead, brown stems, but along those dead looking stems are nice shoots coming out. Give it a chance to start growing again.
The only stuff that was dead, was dried up due to being out of the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so true addy! I never throw anything away like that even if it looks dead cuz they can make a great comeback when the weather warms up! Parrots feather always comes back here no matter how cold it gets.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Our local Invasive Species people informed me last summer that Parrots feather has been added to their list! it seems the stuff can withstand our Ontario winters, what with global warming and all.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are at least 20 plants added here in VA also to that list .I read that a lot of the states are all updating there lists .They list them on a rating scale here .They upped the rating on some of the plants on the old list also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
OH has restricted sales on some types of Parrot's Feather. I really don't want to lose mine this winter. Last winter I tried overwintering it in large ball jars in a sunny window, but it didn't make it. It's now thriving in my deck pond along with other beautiful marginal plants that won't grow in my pond....any ideas on how I could over winter them?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I do nothing for the hornwort it dies back comes back gang busters.

The parrots feather, this last winter was the first time I have lost some. I did have it come back in three ponds, it had planted itself deep like 8 inches below the surface.

Ask a Question