Parrots feather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My parrots feather never seems to do much. Doesnt really spread or grow much, just kinda sits there. Do any of you have better luck putting it in a pot with a little fertilizer maybe? I love it but it doesn't seem to thrive in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last year it thrived in floating nets in my pond! Unfortunately, it also provided a perfect environment for development of koi fry - which over populated my pond, so didn't do it this year.

Reaction score
They like full sun. Is yours in the shade? Maybe try moving it close to the edge of pond so some of it sticks out for better CO2 absorption.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is growing like a weed this year, totally covering two of my ponds, one with fish one without fish. One partially shaded, one in full sun

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine grows great in a pot in full sun in both the big pond and my patio pond. I did stick a couple tomato spikes in the pots a few weeks ago.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! Mine are just in pond water, I don't fertilize them at all.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My parrots feather never seems to do much. Doesnt really spread or grow much, just kinda sits there. Do any of you have better luck putting it in a pot with a little fertilizer maybe? I love it but it doesn't seem to thrive in my pond.

Do you have Koi?

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Mine grows like weeds... it's around my koi pond, frog pond and patio water features... it's in full/partial sun though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They like full sun. Is yours in the shade? Maybe try moving it close to the edge of pond so some of it sticks out for better CO2 absorption.
Nope floating freely at the edge of the pond. In full sun all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Must be something about my water it doesn't like. I might try putting it in a pot with some fertilizer. Thanks for the responses. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Must be something about my water it doesn't like. I might try putting it in a pot with some fertilizer. Thanks for the responses. :)
First season had parrots feather floating in pond with gold fish and it there was little growth. Decided to pot it last season, applied fert tab and it took off. Over wintered added fert tab early spring and great growth this season. Pond is in full sun.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have heard of ponds being so over filtered there is no nitrates, no ammonia, nothing for the plants to grow perky with, there's a thought
Interesting..... I was going to comment that my PF does just OK, but that's about it. And I have never had a positive ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite reading. Guess old Skippy and the turtle-bog are working over time, or I now have an excuse to buy more goldfish!

Ask a Question