Parrots Feather

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've been searching for parrots feather all season and just learned that it was put on the banned list for Wisconsin and Illinois. Another one bites the dust! So if you've got it and can keep it growing, you're in luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm surprised they survive the cold midwest winters. Most of my died off this past winter in NNJ. But I can see how they can be invasive when warmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I tried over wintering mine in the deck pond last year, but it didn't make it :( Two other plants made it though :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm surprised they survive the cold midwest winters. Most of my died off this past winter in NNJ. But I can see how they can be invasive when warmer

We've never had it survive. Same with water hyacinth (which we can still buy in IL, except for the city of Chicago) and water lettuce. And yes, where it has a chance to survive it is definitely an invasive nuisance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have it potted in a big huge pot of kitty litter on my pond shelf and it did great through the winter here. We don't get that cold tho for long periods of time. @addy1 has it and she's in Maryland where it gets pretty cold and hers survives.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine below is self planted I have not put any in the pond in pots, I did toss some in a few years back. The pond is about 1-2 feet or so deep, no fish. It does freeze up.
20181016_144729.jpg

The stuff in the hot tub is a different variety, in kitty litter, around 2 inches below water surface. The surface does freeze.
IMG_3388.jpg

I have another variety in the stream pond, shallow, fishless in a small pot of litter, it came back also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 has the magical mystery ponds going on over there! It's so pretty!

We found some mare's tail that we're trying out. It's kind of a cool plant, too. But everything you read is "how to eradicate mare's tail" so I'm sure that one is next!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got some mares tail, it is definitely not taking over. So far it has died back during the summer, seems to not like our horrible heat. But it has come back in the spring.
I have it contained in a pot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the Mare's Tail also and it is in a pot of kitty litter also and does good till winter when it dies back but comes back great in Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow. It's almost as restricted as water hyacinth! We've had both kinds, but have basically eliminated the 'regular' one and have LOTS of the Red Stemmed variety in the pond. It dies back over the winter (zone 7a here) and then comes back with vengeance once warm weather returns. I have to stay on top of trimming & tossing it, or it would definitely take over the pond! I do still really like it, though, and hope that NC doesn't jump on board with outlawing it.

Ask a Question