Parrot's Feather

Reaction score
We have some new parrot's feather in our pond but it is dying. We have a water lily, a water poppy, and sweetflag which are all flourishing. Any idea why our parrot's feather is doing poorly? I thought it was a weed.

We also had a fish die today. He was big and healthy but this morning we found him up at the surface gasping. We separated him from the rest and by this evening he was dead. No sign of parasites or anything and water quality is perfect. All other fish healthy and happy.

Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy is right, Parrots feather grows best where water is in motion. Likes the stream edges and near water falls. Makes me wonder with you say the big fish was gasping how is your oxygen? Plenty of water over turning in the pond, good water fall, air stones ???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wonder also did you look at his gills to see the color of them .I have seen some fish that can survive anything others that die easly .Also what plants do you have near the pond are there any that could be poisonous to fish .Or could something have blown in the pond that he got a hold of .I had a neighbor with fish that she sprayed insecticidal soap on her rose's during high wind and killed all 4 of her fish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
In a high nineties, full sun position, parrots feather would be the first to be destroyed by excessive high temps when pond temps stratify in shallow water

Regards, andy

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm already getting temps of near ninety during the afternoon, Full sun over 8 eight hours in direct sunlight and I'm trimming 4-6" of growth a day to allow the stream to keep flowing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
45 here today, my parrots feather is slowly starting to grow, weather can't decide it if wants to be warm or cold.

Reaction score
Thanks. All other fish are doing ok so I guess we have to chalk it up to Sudden Fish Death. The parrot's feather could just not be healthy to start with since our water is moving and temps are ok.

Ask a Question