Partial water change

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been doing a 10-20% water change every other weekend even if tests show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 Phosphate. Should I keep this up or do I need to make changes?

I have well water but I still add Stress Coat even if there is no chlorine in the water, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I do 10% weekly water changes myself. I dont add a stress coat, that just makes more stress.... the medicine is supposed to be irritating to them thus making more slime coat.

The answer really depends on whether or not you have good ways to remove nitrates. I still dont have a bog going, just marginal, lilies and floating plants. What's your nitrates?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Gemma , everyone's well water can be quite different... some cleaner than others... it'd be wise to have a residential water test done on it... only this will tell you if water changes would be hurting you...

Be sure to do any water changes very slow.... Water changes can also quickly shift your water temperature and even small water temperature changes can stress/harm your fish, possibly leading to secondary ailments...

For some people, water changes are can hurt or help...

The stress coat produce is not necessary at all.

My well water is from about 480 feet underground, away from other major water repositories, and salinity is negligible. So it is very clean, hard, and alkaline, very freshwater, good enough to not need chemical filtration for phosphate etc, drink it straight from the tap... I just do one 60% water change (old and new water spread out over a 3 day period, so 6 days total)... First slow 3 day removal the old water to water my landscape then a slow 3 day addition of clean water.... done only once a month

I mainly do this cause I am impatient of Nature to naturally clean the tannins in my water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I usually top off my pond and over flow it for awhile. I clean my big filter about twice per week and it has a bottom drain, so I add water to the pond to replace what's lost. I add Sachem Prime, as we have chlorine.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been doing a 10-20% water change every other weekend even if tests show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 Phosphate. Should I keep this up or do I need to make changes?

I have well water but I still add Stress Coat even if there is no chlorine in the water, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you!

A 10% to 20% water change does little to affect water quality positively or negatively.
Based on the parameter levels that you posted, your time could be better spent relaxing an enjoying your pond.
Ditch the Stress Coat, your fish will thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do 10% weekly water changes myself. I dont add a stress coat, that just makes more stress.... the medicine is supposed to be irritating to them thus making more slime coat.

The answer really depends on whether or not you have good ways to remove nitrates. I still dont have a bog going, just marginal, lilies and floating plants. What's your nitrates?
I have no idea! I bought a "supposedly" complete test kit, and it does not mention Nitrate, in fact I never even knew that word before I joined this Forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma , everyone's well water can be quite different... some cleaner than others... it'd be wise to have a residential water test done on it... only this will tell you if water changes would be hurting you...

We had tests done recently, when we needed a new water softener, all I remember was the guy saying our water is not very hard to begin with, the rest was pretty much what you'd expect from well water in the area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A 10% to 20% water change does little to affect water quality positively or negatively.
Based on the parameter levels that you posted, your time could be better spent relaxing an enjoying your pond.
Ditch the Stress Coat, your fish will thank you.
Are you saying that I don't need to do water changes if the tests results are negative?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the 7 years my pond has been running the only water changes are from rain. All the tests, when I do them, are great. Water clear, fish healthy.

We are on a well, very soft acidity water, no idea how deep our well is. Been drinking it with only a sediment filter for years now still healthy.

We have had a ton of rain this year, out of curiosity I will test the water when we get home. Well and pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know water changes are a controversial subject here, so this is only my OPINION. There is nothing natural about my pond, it is a closed system, with large waste producing fish. I believe my fish benefit from clean filters and the addition of fresh water.....especially if we are in a dry spell, without much rain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have small fish that don't crank out the waste as much as koi do. A lot depends on your pond and your system as to what works water change wise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Totally AGREE :) If I knew then, what I know NOW......I'd have designed my pond differently :) At this point, I'm just going to work with what I've got and enjoy it :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Are you saying that I don't need to do water changes if the tests results are negative?

No, what @Meyer Jordan is talking about.... 10~20% water change volume is so small... that these water changes may likely not have helped nor hurt you...

...which can be true as well..

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Gemma , I understand the desire to do the right thing... and everyone has their opinion on what is the "right thing" to do...

...but here is how I approach this...

...If I do not understand what/why other people are saying what they are saying... if they can/will not explain them self... if I can not find clarity on the Internet or real life that comforts me in the decision...

...then... I do NOT do it...

...Simply do what works best for you while understanding why you are doing it...

...if the understanding of why you are doing it is, " I have done it this way and have had no problems ", then awesome... Stick to that !! (y)

Ask a Question