Patching

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
IMG_2402.JPG
Look at the right side of the image. The recipient of the pond stuff is a nice 72 year young guy. The right side of the liner was under mulch, dirt and potted plants. There is one 6" curved rip and a number of small holes in that part of the liner. If the new owner needs to use that liner for his new pond can those holes be patched? If so please specify the best readily available liner patch kits/materials. He is building a goldfish pond. Cathy and I are so happy our pond will live on. As you can see he has more work ahead.

Your pal,
Lou

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would say just about anything CAN be patched... the question is SHOULD it? If he's working on a really tight budget, then I would say sure - go ahead and take your chances with the patching. But if it were me, the one thing that I would never want to cut corners on is the liner because the first thing that goes in the pond is going to be the hardest thing to fix once the pond is finished. If he has the budget, I would strongly encourage him to go with a new liner and maybe use your old liner for a stream or waterfall.

Just one ponder's opinion @Big Lou - others may chime in with their own. I am loving the idea of your pond finding a second life!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you. I do think he is trying to save money. If there are too many holes in that section I trust he will not use it. Given his pond is much smaller than mine he should have enough. I also think he wants as much of the liner as he can get in case of future expansion. Next trip to our home I will discuss the patching matter with him. Btw, have you ever heard of pond stores that provide professional grade patching services. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area could have such a service if there are such.

Back when I was a youngster I worked at a true automotive service station. In the 1960's tires used inner tubes. The best way to patch a puncture was with a hot patch. A hot patch is a round small metal cup with rubber sealant on one side and flammable material in the cup. It is clamped onto the tube or tire and the flammable side is punctured with a sharp tool and set on fire, it then bonds the rubber side to the tube or tire. Basically a vulcanizing process. My point is that it seems such old technology might be a good method for affixing patches to EDPM liners.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Researched patching last night and found impressive products and methods. I will encourage the new owner to do the same and if he intends to patch do so while the liner is out of the pond. Hopefully, he has a driveway wide and long enough to spread out the liner for any necessary work.

Ask a Question