Patio Bog - PVC layout help please

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
this is a side project. This will be an upper bog. It is 30 gallons and the existing pond is a 50 gallon preformed. Because it's round and an odd shaped bottom I am having a hard time laying out the PVC for the bottom. Here's are 2 I came up with. Will either be sufficient? I have other ideas for the layout but they start to get complicated until the entire bottom is covered with PVC fittings going this way and that. I also plan on cutting groves in the fittings as well as the pipes.
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

EDIT: the water flow is in through the double elbows sitting on the shelf. I will have stand pipes attached to the terminal ends and the pipe is 1 1/2 inch.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are they the same layout except for the direction of the 3-way?

And where will the water exit the tub?

Simplest is best.......IMG_0113.JPGIMG_0114.JPGIMG_0115.JPG

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The problem is the shelves which are high up the sides, outlined in gray. The yellow line would represent a four-way; when I laid it out the pipes terminated next to the shelves but I see there may be more room. I have bulkhead fitting to go through the shelves; the only flat surface besides the bottom. I don't think I need 2 returns but it was just symmetrical.

small bog.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's how I did mine. As long as you've got it spread across the bottom so water gets distributed in a wide area, it should be good.

DSCN4684.png

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This project is scrapped considering I am about $250 into it. Between the liner which wasn't expensive, pvc fittings, bulkhead fittings, check valve, and my next great idea, rubber garden hose wrapped in foam pipe insulation inside 2" pvc as a conduit to keep the insulation dry for feed and returns so I can run it through the winter... :dead:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found a lot of my plumbing stuff at habitat for humanity 10 cents for most pvc fittings and 25 cents for 4 foot and 6 foot pieces of pvc .I guess plumbers and electricians donate a lot of the left over pieces .I even get a lot of my electrical stuff there ..My outlets for my electrical project I just finished were only 25 cents a piece and switch's were the same price .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This project is scrapped considering I am about $250 into it. Between the liner which wasn't expensive, pvc fittings, bulkhead fittings, check valve, and my next great idea, rubber garden hose wrapped in foam pipe insulation inside 2" pvc as a conduit to keep the insulation dry for feed and returns so I can run it through the winter... :dead:
Only temporarily, I hope.....

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It isn't worth the expense; takes dollars away for the primary objective which is a much larger pond altogether. I had something like the picture below before but took it down for 2 reasons, the reservoir was too small and a fledge of robins drowned in it because it was under a jasmine lined arbor where the nest was built. I was so distressed.

IMG_0584.JPG

Ask a Question