Patio pond? Need a non permanent solution!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm moving soon into a rental. I know I can't bring all 20 of my koi but I can't stand the thought of losing a few of my favorites! There are roughly 5 of my water babies that I want to bring with me. Can you guys give me some advice as to how to build and house them in something like these? It needs to be something that can be completely removed, obviously but suitable for maintaining water quality long term. The 5 koi I want to keep range in size from approx. 16-8" I currently have no idea where to even start with filtration since I've built my pond with a natural bog. Now I do intend/hope to use plants to help with the temporary situation, but am afraid I'll be to limited by space to rely on that entirely. See the pictures below for an idea of what I'm thinking of. Obviously I will make it as large as I can possibly get away with.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could use a pressure filter or a filter that stays in the pond .The easiest way would by a stock tank and build a pretty surround around it .This is around a stock tank .You could buy a less deep stock tank .

Attachments

• tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 050.JPG
    tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 050.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 373

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
by the way the box you have there is easy and they have the plans on pinterest .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always liked the large metal water troughs. They have a country look to them. I would probably drop a liner in. And while they are expensive to purchase it probably wouldn't be as much as building something. I found these on a google search just linking as an example, don't know anything about the company. But you could get an 1100 gallon trough for under $400. With 5 koi I'd also add some serious filtration.

http://stockyardsupply.com/index.php/watering-systems/galvanized-poly-stock-tanks/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry I haven't responded in so long.... Life is crazy. I think if I make it 8' x 6' x 2.5' deep I should have roughly 900 gallons. Was planning to use rubber liner to line the wood box, like the bottom picture. Can you get stock tanks that large? My current pond has only about 1100 I think. Looks huge but that was what I got when I timed it filling up. My bog filters the whole thing in full sun perfectly and I was trying to think of some way to create that in an inexpensive way. It will be going in my sunroom at the new place, so indirect light all day. Should be a little easier to fight algae than what I have now. Obviously I can't build a waterfall, but was thinking some sort of fountain. I'm bringing my 3600 gph pump with me which is way to powerful for a fountain but I thought if I split the outflow part to a fountain with filter set up and part to some very large potted plants.....It may work? what do you guys think?

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm currently building a pond like this:
Pond.jpg

I don't know if that bog filter on the back would be enough for koi

Ask a Question