PDZ horse stall freshener... zeolite

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
these questions are for those who have used the PDZ zeolite, does it turn to mud like kitty litter? i've used the aquarium zeolite with great success, it stays solid and doesnt break down. PDZ is alot cheaper and i'm thinking of trying it for my fry pond. is it chunks like kitty litter? will it stay solid? can it be rejuvenated with a strong salt water bath and rinse? does it cloud the water? none of this is an issue with the lab zeolite. but i like the cheaper idea... details, details.thats what i want.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used it for a couple of years now and it does need a fine mesh bag or you can also use pool things the put chemicals in
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56624]notice the blue thing .I get them end of season for a dollar or 2 I have 5 of them .I double up the dollars store bags .Not sure this answers your question but I have been using it for over 5 years now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had it cloud the water but I dunk the bags in a tub of water first and yep just redo it with a salt bath .The bags go in my filters and 2 of my pool floats hold crushed oyster shells .I even dunk my kitty litter first before I put it in and if I plant in it the whole pot gets dunked first to absorb the water and get rid of the dust .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so you cant just fill a container and have water flowing thru it like any filter then? it turns to mud? has alot of powder in it? is it at least as chunky as kitty litter? ... i want to use it on my fry pond, have it upflow or down flow thru it like a filter. and i dont want it clouding the water or rinsing a bunch of fines out into the pond. lab zeolite is like gravel, and will stay solid forever.with no mess, will PDZ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no I have always put it in something .I would think it is to fine for that but I have never tried it though .I know in the bags it is fine and in the pool floats .It is like sand .I know at southern states here they sell it in larger rock type form .Looks like pea gravel ,but it sells out fast when they get it .I was told farmers here use it in there ponds and in there stock tanks for horses .I guess it keeps them fresh longer .But they put it in bags also .It looks like rough pea gravel size .I saw some the manager showed me that had spilled from a bag .It was an ordered item he told me for equestrian centers here and he said it must be ordered and paid ahead .I googled it but could not find info on it .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok checked with the neighbor he works at southern states and they get a discount because they buy so much of it and it comes in 20 and 40 lb bags ,20 lb bag is around 17 dollars our price with tax

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ONE MORE QUESTION: does the PDZ sink and settle to the bottom or is it bouyant (float\)? if it sinks does it sink fast, or slow, and does it all sink?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when it gets wet in the bag it is heavy so it does not float .I fill the laundry bags about half full I can take a pic and post it of the bags I have next to the waterfall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it is mixed with crushed oyster shells in the dollar store laundry bags .I have to take it out any ways to refresh it .You will see when i moved one of the bags it came out a little and that is because I did not double up the bags when I put them there .

Attachments

• pdz 007.JPG
    pdz 007.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 436
  • pdz 004.JPG
    pdz 004.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 416

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
doesn't seem to harm anything as aggie has knock one bag I guess enough that string broke and it ended up in the bottom of the pond .Last pic of aggie you see it on the bottom with the crushed oyster shells

Ask a Question