pea gravel bog from scraps

Reaction score
Addy said you can make a bog from anything so I went searching in the attic to see what I could find to make a bog waterfall weir. I found a storage container, a section of 1" PVC drain pipe, a few connectors and end caps. I love playing my compound miter saw so cutting pipe and making notches was fun. To clear and lines if/when they clog I just unscrew the end caps and flush the pipes. From the simple initial tests, no leaks. I also added a pic of some of my friends.

I will paint the top half the box brown to help it blend in with it's surrounding.

Attachments

• weir1 int.jpg
    weir1 int.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 429
  • weir2 int.jpg
    weir2 int.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 411
  • weir3 int.jpg
    weir3 int.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 429
  • fish int.JPG
    fish int.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 433
Reaction score
I would have added the pea gravel but it is only 41 degrees, too cold to be outside washing gravel.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
creative minds! great I love playing with all tools!

Reaction score
Once I fill it with pea gravel I wanted to add a plant that would hang over the edge to help over the container and grow out onto rocks that will be next to it. Also maybe some medium size grass.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why my top filters like that but instead of pea gravel I used lava rock .I put filter pads on top and then went to tractor supply and bought a large feeding dish for on top and see which works better up on top the plant ring or this dish with holes I drilled in the bottom .This way I can put floaters or rooted plants or maybe both the ring first and then smaller pots with plants in them and floating plants in the ring .I will plant my sweet potato vines again I guess .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nova, you done good on that one. You could put some Parrots feather to flow out over the top also and I also found that I can put Creeping Jenny between my pond rocks and it flows out over the pond water so you could try that also. It's got little yellow flowers on it that bloom quite a long time :)

Attachments

• creeping jenny.jpg
    creeping jenny.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 394
Reaction score
HomeDepot has Creeping Jenny in two varieties, green and yellow. I was thinking about getting some, that would do nicely, thanks. Love the flowers!

When I cut the piece out for the water fall it left a rough edge and the side was a bit flimsy. Then I saw that if I cut a notch in the support spacers under the lip of the lid piece I had cut out, it slid perfectly over the cut edge for the falls. This gave support for the flimsy side and a smooth edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I put a pot of creeping jenny in the pond and it is doing very nicely, the fish do like to nobble though. Very hardy up north, too!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just saw that the other day too at home depot and was wondering my self about it as I saw a dark green and yellowish green now have to go to Danville tomorrow to sign papers for house so may get some make that will get some

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze you really never know what plants will work as I looked at them and wondered now do not have to wonder .I like hearing things like this

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just stick plants in the bog and see how they do, so far all are living and growing!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Once you add all the pea gravel and plants will this slow down your water flow thus reducing the amount of water that will flow over the weir?

Ask a Question